Dartford Crossing Charge....£££"S 110 defender...

Just been on the phone to Dart Charge as I was charged £2.63 compared to my wife Cherokee Jeep (yes I know!) £1.67... was told mine is a higher charge as it's a class C vehicle..... was told to check my V5 to see the class, says "rigid body 2x axle"... would have though any car has to have 2 axles...??

Is a 110 a heavy goods vehicle..., should I have an HGV entitlement on my license...?

I remember the spin when the bridge was being built that once the construction costs has been recouped it would be free to use... Or did I dream this...?

Dartford Crossing charges

Vehicle class

Type of vehicle

Single journey

Standard or commercial account

Local resident discount account

B

Cars (including trailers), motorhomes, passenger vans and buses with less than 9 seats

£2.50

£1.67

£10 a year for 50 crossings and 20p per extra crossing, or £20 a year for unlimited crossings

C

2 axle heavy goods vehicles (including vans)

£3.00

£2.63

£10 a year for 50 crossings and 20p per extra crossing, or £20 a year for unlimited crossings

D

Multi-axle goods vehicles

£6.00

£5.19

-

same as my 110 then, my V5 states in section 4 vehicle details

D5 - body type = Estate

further down at D4 - Wheelplan = 2 - axle rigid body

taxation class = private/light goods.

so I would expect to be paying the same bridge toll as a normal car.

I used to get occasional trouble at the council tip over the same thing - because it is a three door, some of the gimps would argue it's a van and thus commercial, unswayed by the arguments that it is privately owned, has side windows, interior trim and seats in the back. If you have a solid hard top, though, it is hard to argue that it is not a van.

So different in different countries. Here in New Zealand the rule is you multiply the number of seats by 68Kg (~150lbs I guess). If that's more than half the payload, it's a car. If it's less, it's a goods vehicle. However, when I got my two door, two seat 110 hard top through a vehicle inspection last week, the principle tester randomly decided to call it a station wagon and that's what it will stay, for now! (I just learned this rule last week - I'm sure most vehicle testers haven't a clue...)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few replies back from Dartford Crossing, all staying that they only go by the info DVLA give them to go on.. I had a Google search and it seems LandRover registered some new vehicles as Light Goods Vehicles to keep them in a lower road tax bracket..

Doesn't add up with the charge list supplied by DC though...?

So it would appear that I pay a lower road tax but get charged a higher rate when using the Dartford Crossing...!!??

The amount of times I use it I can live with that... :)

Severn main bridge charged me car rate, the old bridge I got through free in the ambulance. Can't decide if the old bridge are overly charitable or the new bridge are grumpy jobsworths - after all it IS an ambulance, but it's not in service.

• Like 1