LED side/brake/indicator lights

reb78

24 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I just used LED alternative bulbs in the standard housings. Works fine.

My housings are a bit of a mess - connections quite corroded and the lenses perished in places, so I think I will replace the lot. I guess the disadvantage of any of these dedicated LED units is that they arent as easily/cheaply replaced as a bulb and lens if they get broken or stop working. Advantage wise, I get the impression they are brighter so make it easier for you to be seen.

I've got the full wipac setup, however prior to its MOT and doing the usual lights check I noticed the fog light was missing a few illuminated LEDs....still good enough to pass but I wanted it changed.

I ordered one from boltonbits/eBay and it turned out to be a wipac one in the box, it appears to have better chips than the older version. Very quick delivery from them and I'd also recommend their led relay. It's not cheap at £30 but the one that came with my wipac kit would never flash the trailer icon consistently with just an initial "flash" when indicating. No amount of twiddling the knob would make it work. The RDX one works as it should.

I'll be ordering a set for the brother in laws new 110 puma from them.

I have a full set of RDX lights on both the 90 and 110. Bolt on bits ebay shop.

Carrying "spare bulbs" when travelling abroad becomes expensive as you have to have a complete unit for each position, side, stop/tail, indicator.

One of the best modifications for more than one reason, not least, instant brake lights!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2016 at 11:56 PM, Happyoldgit said:

RDX on my last two or three Puma's. I have a complete vehicle set of used ones plus a couple LED flasher units sitting idle in the garage if you fancy a trip out to Norfolk ;)

Steve, are these clear or coloured lenses? I'd like the original colours as I think these look better. If coloured, would you consider posting these? If so, how much are you looking for inc postage? Do you also have the numberplate, reverse and fog lights with the set?

On 11/17/2016 at 7:43 PM, Early90 said:

I have a full set of RDX lights on both the 90 and 110. Bolt on bits ebay shop.

Carrying "spare bulbs" when travelling abroad becomes expensive as you have to have a complete unit for each position, side, stop/tail, indicator.

One of the best modifications for more than one reason, not least, instant brake lights!

Is there any reason why you couldnt carry one of the old lights with its halogen bulb as a spare in case one of the LED units failed? Would running a bulb unit and an LED pose any problems? Given failure is unlikely, this could get you by legally (in terms of carrying a spare) and get you home on the rare chance that you might need to purchase another one?

27 minutes ago, western said:

bought 4 RDX red lense tail/brake led units last week, hoping to get them fitted this weekend depending on the weather. 

What do you need to do to the wiring on yours Ralph? The connectors wont be compatible with our vehicles will they? Will you put on new connectors? If so which ones?

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:50 PM, reb78 said:

Is there any reason why you couldnt carry one of the old lights with its halogen bulb as a spare in case one of the LED units failed? Would running a bulb unit and an LED pose any problems? Given failure is unlikely, this could get you by legally (in terms of carrying a spare) and get you home on the rare chance that you might need to purchase another one?

No, that is what I have done in the past but I am replacing them with LED spares. I have two vehicles and I know I will need one sometime so not a big deal regards expense Vs convenience.