Bonnet mounted spare wheel

angusb

There is a bonnet mod that Land rover themselves used to put on the military land rovers(pre wolf L/R) that does the job very well, It means drilling holes in the bonnet if you get hold of the complete kit, You'd probably need to go to somewhere like safari engineering or even e-bay to find the required bracketry or even the ex military vehicle assoc not sure how much it'll cost but it maybe just what your looking for

I did change the complet bonnet that had a Land Rover Defender spare wheel carrier fitted.

However after my second trip I changed to a MOD series/ Lightweight one which I think is better.

If you do fit a spare on the bonnet then I recomend the MOD/ lightweight strap and MOD series bonnet clips to stop the monnet bouncing about.

The complete kit is available from Land Rover as Pt. No. LRSBOSPW (formerly STC7633)

It contains all the required parts, including bonnet reinforcement brackets, all fixings, and a new one-piece bonnet prop.

post-148-126209130974_thumb.jpg . post-148-12620913166_thumb.jpg . post-148-126209132357_thumb.jpg . post-148-126209130397_thumb.jpg

The kit is also available from most LR Parts/Accessory sellers -

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-STC7633

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/17368/LRSBOSPW-DEFENDER-BONNET-SPARE-WHEEL-KIT.html

The kit contains exactly the same parts as fitted to Military 90, 110, 127, Defenders and Wolf XD.

I fitted one to my 110's bonnet and it took me a couple of hours. Although, most of that time was waiting for the paint around the drilled holes to dry.

post-148-126209205437_thumb.jpg . post-148-126209212558_thumb.jpg . post-148-126209204122_thumb.jpg

Some word of caution;

If you (like me) are a short a@se it can make parking interesting.

Water collects in the wheel. And then comes out in surprising quantities when you hit a bump.

Cats sleep in the well (nice, n warm) and jump out when you start engine. (Gets heart going in morning)

Opening bonnet becomes exercise in weight lifting.

Some strange aerodynamic effect caused by wheel makes the washers always squirt on nearside but never drivers. Doesn't matter which way winds blowing.

But I still think it's better than door mounting.

Now somewhere in my emporium of "old useless junk that might come in handy one day" I have a military mounting going begging if you're interested.

I'm 5' 8" tall. I have a Discovery steel wheel on the bonnet. I have no problems parking or driving close to a stationary wall.

I find the bonnet easy engough to lift. Remember I'm not a youngster....

I use the wheel well to store stuff in with a plastic wheel cover over the wheel.

Well the water on the wheel is better than the washer jets....

U sued the same kit to fit a spare wheel on mine. The bonnet is fairly heavy, but then again I also have a Noise Killer kit on it, plus a shovel and pick axe. It's still manageable, the hardest part being reaching the bonnet prop when it's in its catch (or putting it back into the catch), but the bullbar and winch make me have to stand that much further away, so I suspect they cause the difficulty, not the weight.

The biggest nuisance is that the bonnet will no longer pop up when you pull the release lever, so you need a second person to lift the bonnet while the release lever is pulled or a tool (like a piece of aluminium tube with a full-length slit to hold the lever open while you lift the bonnet. I gave up on both and fit the MoD/Camel Trophy style bonnet hooks to the bonnet and wing tops and wound the bonnet catch in far enough on its adjustment that it still provides lateral location (stopping the bonnet from swaying) but doesn't engage in the lock.

After just doing my back in today lifting a Wolf rim and XZL onto my bonnet I'd say dont bother! my bonnet mount is being replaced by a standard bonnet with the wheel going inside either up against the load area bulkhead (110hardtop) or flat on the floor in the load area.

Bonnet mounts are too heavy, I'd hate to have a bonnet fall on me when tinkering-and I have had a normal bonnet fall on my head and that hurt enough on its own!

The main reason though for me getting rid of the bonnet mount is so I dont have to get out of the Lanny when my Mr's is cooking stuff on the engine manifold-she can open the bonnet herself!

dsc01506medium.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just to bring up an old thread.

I was going to put a spare on the roofrack (taking 2 spares on the rally). But after the thread about excessive weight on the rack I'm now thinking about the bonnet.

I was thinking about using a pair of rachet straps in an X shape on O rings in all 4 corners of the wings. I'f I put the rings through the wings with backing plates would this be enough to support the weight?

Cheers

Ade

I've got / had a rear door mounted spare wheel arrangement on my 110.

It proved to be very usefull to the muppet who used it as his brakes at a round-a-bout last week.

It took the brunt of the shunt, and the door buckled,and the tow bar got hit, but without the wheel in situ, I believe we wouldhave seen alot more damage to both he and I.

Just waiting to hear back from the garage what the estimate of repairs will be.