Led light bar

bigstevemex

Merry Christmas to you all

i am considering getting a light bar but am bewildered by the choice.

i know you get what you pay for but the good ones are really expensive.

i have a full length brownchurch rack to mount it on.

does anyone have any recommendations and/or have one for sale?

thanks in advance

Steve  

There are loads and I suppose the old mantra "you get what you for" rings true.

i bought a 24" eBay Chinese special and fitted it to my works van, it's been there now for almost 2years and has worked faultlessly. No dead LEDs, no fogging or misting and is ideal for single track lanes. It doesn't have the reach of dedicated spotlights (I ran Rallye 3000s prior to the light bar). It was about £58 iirc.

However if you check out the reviews on YouTube against the expensive ones then there is an very clear increase in performance. If you can justify the £500+ price tag then go for it!

link to topic

12 minutes ago, landrover598 said:

Check the rated Lumens output when shopping around. I found the same size bar from 10,000 lumens upto about 20,000 depending on price, i bought a relatively cheap one (about £80) at just over 13,000 lumens and have been very impressed with it.

The problem is that you can't trust the numbers given unless it is a very reputable source.  Most of the cheap suppliers state numbers that are completely false.  There have been lots of tests done to show how bad the situation is.

14 minutes ago, honitonhobbit said:

Yes, unless you have a cut off switch - like LR used to get around C&U regs on stuff like the Black and Tomb Raider

Does this apply to spotlights as well then? Mine are switched via relays by the full beam feed. 

Spot lights using normal 55W bulbs are fine, as they comply with the lighting regs.

LED bars are just not approved for road use full stop, not conforming to any regs at all.

Then enter the whole LED/HID in standard headlamps debate, which has been covered in other posts :)

Which driving lamps do you have?

• Like 1

Yeah, fully disabled for off road use should be fine. In which case if you are caught using them on the road then you would have issues.

However for on road going from the M1 IVA guide (which I appreciate is an interpretation of C&U) it looks like the stumbling issue would be it being one unit, rather than a matched pair. Spot lamps and driving lights are classed as main beams, and including your standard head light main beams you can't have more than 4. If you had two, that operated with the full beam and could also be disabled I've not seen how that can be problematic.

Interestingly there is a section that talks about pairs of lights whose illuminated area is greater than 60% of the total rectangular area that contains the pair of lights are classed as one unit. In this case, at least in the eyes of the IVA tester a pair of 6" spots on the bumper mounted with 1" between them would fall fowl of that, become one unit and therefore no longer be a matched pair. On the flip side though you could use this to your advantage and combine a flood with a spot on each side of the car and so long as these are close enough, and operated on the same controls then you would be fine with 6  individual 'main beam' lights.

Edit: Two people replied while I was writing that! I'm not responding directly to either of the previous two posts!

Edited by WesBrooks
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Does this apply to spotlights as well then? Mine are switched via relays by the full beam feed. 

Only if roof mounted - unless you have a forward control style vehicle; obs this is assuming (a bad thing) that you have the correct lamps fitted to the lights and they are in the correct place as stated in C&U regs...

No that you will get pulled unless you have an accident involving death or serious injury. Then. if the lights are found to be a possible reason of said accident, you will do time

Edited by honitonhobbit

I met some tool in a "fast show spec" 110 (even had bush wires :rolleyes:) last night when I was going up the side of Loch Lomond - the wiggly bit between Tarbet and Ardlui. I could see a vehicle coming through the trees but when he came round the corner it was like a small sun had appeared, the white light from his LED headlamps and roof-mounted light bar was enough to completely blind me even in the second or so before he turned them off. Then even on dipped beam his headlights were still putting as much light out at my eye level as most normal ones do on main beam. I had to stop as I couldn't see a thing.

The point being, it's all well and good fitting some nuclear-powered light bar to your vehicle - but make damn sure you turn it off well before you get anywhere near an oncoming vehicle. And check headlight adjustment regularly!

• Like 2

On reflection the M1 IVA test guide isn't sufficient enough a document to refer to in this case. It doesn't list many of the restrictions such as the 55W bulb limit. I'm going to have to read up on the lighting section of the C&U guide for my build!

• Like 1

Ok, found this for C&U for lighting. I think this may be out of date and I still cant find any mention of the 55W limit which I've heard of...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/5/made

In summary:

Part 2 of Schedule 5: "Requirements relating to optional main-beam headlamps: Any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 7, 10 and 12(a) of Part I and, in the case of a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1991, paragraph 5 of Part I. "

...and the associated extras:

5.  Markings–

(a) Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragaph (b), (c) or (d):
    An approval mark or a British Standard mark

(b) A motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986:
    No requirement

12.  Other requirements–

(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the direction of the beam of light emitted therefrom can be adjusted whilst the vehicle is stationary.

7.  Colour:
    White or yellow

10.  Electrical connections–

(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the light emitted therefrom–

(i)can be deflected at the will of the driver to become a dipped beam, or

(ii)can be extinguished by the operation of a device which at the same time either–

(A)causes the lamp to emit a dipped beam, or

(B)causes another lamp to emit a dipped beam.

(b) Where a matched pair of main-beam headlamps is fitted they shall be capable of being switched on and off simultaneously and not otherwise.

(c) A three-wheeled motor vehicle, not being a motor bicycle combination, first used on or after 1st April 1986 and having a maximum speed not exceeding 50 mph:
    No requirement

(d) A solo motor bicycle and a motor bicycle combination:
    No requirement

Is this the most up to date version of C&U?

Here below is the gotcha for using lights not E or BS marked. Where you have an E/BS marked lamp running LED lights as standard figment then you are fine. If you use LED bulbs inside holders for filament lights then this will also get you. I've seen nothing that prevents the additional lights being mounted at roof level pointing forward. From what I've read so far the low lights are better for rain/snow and the high get rid of some of the long shadow issues that can hide nasty holes etc. High ones can get hit by branches, low ones can get covered by muck, low ones (particually fogs) can get clipped on steep approaches (or hit by lower branches ;-) ).

Using lights in a way that will dazzle other road users is always forbidden.

Filament lamps

14.—(1) Where a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or any trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 is equipped with any lamp of a type that is required by any Schedule to these Regulations to be marked with an approval mark, no filament lamp other than a filament lamp referred to in the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations in–

(a)regulation 4 and Schedule 2, items 2 or 2A, 8, 20, 37 or 37A; or

(b)regulation 5 and Schedule 4, item 18,

shall be fitted to any such lamp.

(2) Where any pedal cycle manufactured on or after 1st October 1990 is equipped with any lamp that is required by any Schedule to these Regulations to be marked with a British Standard mark, no filament lamp other than a filament lamp marked with the marking indicated in the British Standard specification for Filament Lamps for Cycles published by the British Standards Institution under the reference 6873: 1988 namely “B.S. 6873” shall be fitted to any such lamp.

Lighting regs state for front fog and additional lights -

• no requirement on number;
  • when a pair of lamps is fitted to be used instead of obligatory headlamps in seriously reduced visibility, each lamp must be not more than 400 millimetres from the edge of the vehicle;
  • not more than 1,200 millimetres from the ground (except agricultural and road clearance vehicles, industrial tractors and engineering plant).

TABLE

(1) (2) (3)
Item No. Type of lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon Manner of use prohibited
1 Headlamp

(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b)Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

2 Front fog lamp

(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

(c)Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

16 minutes ago, honitonhobbit said:

Mind you I'd warn you that the lighting regs are not an easy read

Your not wrong there, but still can't see the 1200mm regulation. That is however directly referred to in the IVA test guide for the max height of the dipped beam headlights. It lists no limitation for the max height of main beam headlamps.