Vacuum Flask 'repair'.

David Sparkes

Can a query about a Vacuum Flask be considered a Land Rover topic? I hope so, but if not ... shrug!

The 1 litre flask in question has a stainless steel outer and inner, presumably welded together near the neck, although the join is invisible. I found the flask in a field, together with several other discarded items, so I earned a brownie point for tidying them up.

Naturally this action wasn't without some self-interest, but mutual aid is what makes us all rub along together.

To the plot.

Poured boiling water in, and discovered that within 30 seconds the outside was too hot to hold, so the 'thermal insulation by vacuum' wasn't working too well, and I assume the vacuum has disappeared. I checked, there is a significant difference in diameters between the ID and the OD :-)

The base of the flask is a very tight push fit 'cup' shape, and has resisted a straightforward 'grip in the hands, twist and grunt' effort at removal.

As I have nothing to lose by taking it apart I have wondered:

How to get it apart (in such a manner that I can reassemble it).

Whether filling the gap with spray on builders foam would be an effective insulator.

I have tried standing the flask in a shallow tray of water, high enough to go over the join, then heated the flask with a 1800W electric heat gun. The steel goes a pretty colour, and gets uniformly 'too hot to carry', but there is no sign of air being expelled through the join (no bubbles in the water). Nor is water sucked in as the flask is left to cool.

I have thought of drilling and threading a hole in the base, then screw + Loctite / Araldite a valve in, then blowing compressed air in to force the base off. I'd figure out a repair after 'foaming' the cavity.

Of course, if I create some sort of valve, why not try re-creating a vacuum?

Two snags, with the tools at my disposal I can't think how to create an effective vacuum, nor can I think how to seal it if I did create it.

Anyone else at a loose end this afternoon, and would care to suggest a bright idea or two?

:-)

Simple answer,

1.Drill a small hole somewhere that is out of the way,

2.Fit a Small one way valve to this hole, obviously going the right way so you can suck out and not blow in,

3.Boil a kettle full of hot water,

4.Get a piece of flexible tube strong enough to sustain full vacuum,

5.Fix one end of the hose to the valve and hold the other end in your mouth,

6.Take your shoes and socks off,

7.Get the wife to pour the boiling water onto your feet, and the resulting sharp intake of breath will create a very good vacuum inside the container.

8.Fill with coffee

9.Drink coffee in hospital waiting room while your burns are being totally ignored because you didn't go private

Lara

(Warning)

This is a silly suggestion and no one should believe a word I say :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wonder why a vacuum is such an effective insulator? Maybe no molecules to transfer heat between the two walls...

Anyway, braze a small valve on and suck the air out! You can make about 5 - 10 psi just with your mouth IIRC. Have you got an old bicycle pump? If you took that apart and reversed the rubber scraper seal it would suck instead of blow. You'd also need to butcher a bicycle valve so it holds air out, not in.

Anyway, you'd be left with a flask with a tyre valve sticking out of the side.

Buy a new one! :P

This borders on fabrication so I'm moving it there ..if that appears wrong to some, well, shrugs ;)

That's why my post failed :ph34r:

Anyway, as I was saying -

Aaargh - physics - must resist - can't -

The best way of getting a half decent DIY vacuum is to seal the interstice and introduce a Nitrogen absorbing compound. It won't get you a really hard one, but not bad.

Sorry? No, it's an expression of the residual pressure, not a comment on his level of excitement, behave!

However, crazy foam will be an improvement over nothing, but a new flask would be the best and dullest method :(