Making a rear crossmember

Les Henson

I decided to have a go at making my own crossmember after thinking it's going to be a bit stupid cutting off part of the new chassis rails in order to accomodate the reinforced item I already have. Luckily I already have a strip of 62-inch x 7-inch x 5mm steel, so nothing to lose says I, and church on sundays is getting a bit boring :) A few things I had in my head (apart from vapour). It doesn't need to be as deep as they tend to be. It doesn't need to be as wide as they tend to be. They don't need to be as thin as they tend to be. Also I don't need the PTO hole (well, not there anyway). I want the exhaust to exit out the rear crossmember, but it would be a nice straight run if the hole was close the the nearside chassis rail.

The PTO hole is round, but I'm clean out of round holes, but happen to have some square holes, so the hole is now square to accomodate the 5-inch sq x 4mm thick square hole I have in stock :blink: I think it would also look a bit arty if there was a square hole with something round sticking through it. Sort-of Picasso-ish if you know what I mean.

Also - tub mounting tabs are sooooooo yesterday - those piles of weld ruin the subtle contours of the rear face of the crossmember and it would be reely kewel if it was a dead flat surface for some plonker in a corsa to whack into. So forsaking the Lord on this one occasion, I set about the 5mm steel sheet with my junior hacksaw, 'Big Boy' file kit, and a re-chargeable drill from B&Q.

Some piccys for those of you that have taken the bread and wine today and are therefore incapable of standing up :P

The 4 x holes at bottom, centre are for a NATO hook by the way.

post-2-1209321066_thumb.jpg

post-2-1209321076_thumb.jpg

post-2-1209321085_thumb.jpg

post-2-1209321097_thumb.jpg

post-2-1209321104_thumb.jpg

Les :)

My brother has done this a few times. Use 4mm plate and have it folded into a C shape/cropped to size, to give the right height and depth. Cut the bottom edges at the outside to form the tapers, fold up and weld. Weld to LR, box in center section at back including anti crush tubes for tow/nato hitch. Add little tabs for rear tub.

Job done and less hacksaw/cutting work.

Adrian

Won't you struggle welding to the chassis leg on the join nearest the square hole

The finished crossmember will slot onto the chassis rails. When the rear face is on - there will be two rectangular holes the same shape as the chassis ends. The 'PTO hole' will be 1-inch inside the chassis rail.

Les.

The finished crossmember will slot onto the chassis rails. When the rear face is on - there will be two rectangular holes the same shape as the chassis ends. The 'PTO hole' will be 1-inch inside the chassis rail.

Les.

how much do you reckon you can make these for then les?

Forgot to take a picture, but there are two 5mm thick strips either side of the NATO hook mounting holes on the inside of the crossmember (like a noughts and crosses grid). It's highly unlikely that anything will bend.

Les.

Thanks John - I reckoned someone would spot the mistake in the end :). I lay the face on the bench and welded the top strip on - 2 x 62" welds before noticing my mistake. I'd rather make a bendy exhaust than have to make another rear face or cut the strip back off again.

Les.