200 BHP Mark Broken TD5 Bell Autos IRB Developments

kev td5

Well this is the third time my defender has been on the rolling road after even more change's by ian at irb developments and pete at bell auto services....

we have now pushed out 208.1 bhp and 332.6 lbs/ft torque......

Ian and pete spent a whole day doing live tuning till they hit the jackpot they also gave me the first production vnt turbo to help along with mission to try and brake the 200 bhp mark

well as you can see it worked the new mapping and turbo now make my defender give and nice low down kick like an evo and that's true!!!!!

There is still on going work to my defender ian and pete have still got a few more trick's up there sleave's to see how much power we can get out of the td5 without brakeing the bank...

as far as i know this is the first defender 2.5 td5 not 2.8 td5 to push out a genuine bhp figure over the 200 hp mark!!!!!

Im looking forward to the next stage that ian and pete are working on ? ;)

il let ian and pete add to this post as they no more about the technical side off this

Id like to thank ian and pete for the amazing work that they have put into my car anyone that want's a genuine remap or upgrade ian or pete are your men!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

post-6834-1237591669_thumb.jpg

post-6834-1237591739_thumb.jpg

as far as i know this is the first defender 2.5 td5 not 2.8 td5 to push out a genuine bhp figure over the 200 hp mark!!!!!

It's also just about the first "200bhp" TDi to actually have a dyno chart to back it up, it'll never catch on I tell ye! :lol:

For comparison, roughly how much has the work cost and what's been done?

It's also just about the first "200bhp" TDi to actually have a dyno chart to back it up, it'll never catch on I tell ye! :lol:

Sorry can't remember il leave that one to ian or pete to answer !!!!

I think fridge's point may be that a 3.9 v8 on ms would produce that kind of power for a fraction of the cost.

I wasn't actually going down the road of starting the usual argument, just curious to know how the numbers stack up since we have a rare occasion where someone has posted some actual verifiable numbers that could be used to compare to other verifiable numbers. Let's not turn it into a willy waggling contest.

Tdi do you mean td5

I drove Kev's in the week and compairing it to the other setup it's a dramatic differance !

The previous setup was a very aggressive kind of drive with some turbo lag then the power coming in strong. This new setup was a dream to drive with. thus having no turbo lag and being a smoother power curve to drive with.

Top marks to IRB DEVELOPMENTS, BELL AUTO SERVICES and Kev for what i'd say has to be the quickest Td5 out there.

Kev ive done you a page on the Xtremelandy site.

Heres the link xtremelandy link

Tdi do you mean td5

They all look & sound the same to me :P:ph34r:

But back to the tech - clearly this hasn't been a quick tweak of the fuel pump and some new fluffy dice so let's have some actual details on how this has been achieved, costs involved, pitfalls, etc. since we have some actual numbers to look at.

Nice to see actual pub print out and not just wild 'dart board' claims.

To achive that output is quite something, I would even as a petrol head :lol: be

interested to know what has been done as a package to get there, and as for the price

I am sure you have probably "Forgetten" <cough> just in case your SWMBO ever saw it ? :lol: .....

With any engine tunned up it will reduce long term life, esp if the new found BHP and Torque is used,

and frankly wht wouldn't you, but serioulsy whats it now like fuel usage wise, both sesnsible driven if "Fully enjoyed"

and erm "Thraaped" about a bit for fun ?

And so your know I am serious here, my engine will be about 20 ish sensible, 12 "Fully Enjoyed"

and around 6 when "Thraaped" :lol: off road I try not to consider MPG :lol:

Nige

IIRC it's had VNT fitted, Intercooler, remap, re-worked exhaust with no Cat and with a cherry bomb, EGR removed and silicon hoses.

So without labour probably about £1900 in parts. All easy bolt on mods so easily done at home in a day.

Cheers

Steve

Nice to see actual pub print out and not just wild 'dart board' claims.

To achive that output is quite something, I would even as a petrol head :lol: be

interested to know what has been done as a package to get there, and as for the price

I am sure you have probably "Forgetten" <cough> just in case your SWMBO ever saw it ? :lol: .....

With any engine tunned up it will reduce long term life, esp if the new found BHP and Torque is used,

and frankly wht wouldn't you, but serioulsy whats it now like fuel usage wise, both sesnsible driven if "Fully enjoyed"

and erm "Thraaped" about a bit for fun ?

And so your know I am serious here, my engine will be about 20 ish sensible, 12 "Fully Enjoyed"

and around 6 when "Thraaped" :lol: off road I try not to consider MPG :lol:

Nige

Fuel cost to tell the truth hasent changed i get about 300 to 340 mile's per tank (£55) on a run then with a bit of fun round about 270 to 300 mile's per tank it's not that bad at all ? :lol:

No internal engine mods afaik - its the turbo, intercooler and custom mapping along with exhause, egr and hoses.

As for the DIN question - look at the printout, correction is 0.975 and DIN power is 202.8 HP

IIRC it's had VNT fitted, Intercooler, remap, re-worked exhaust with no Cat and with a cherry bomb, EGR removed and silicon hoses.

So without labour probably about £1900 in parts. All easy bolt on mods so easily done at home in a day.

Steve - I think you're belittling the work to make a VNT work well with an engine - either I'm making a meal of it or it's really quite involved, but it's certainly not a bolt-on job.

The VNT/VGT produced by Bell & IRB is a bolt on though - however i believe its been a long time in developement and so all the hard work has been doen by the time we get to fit one :)

Steve - I think you're belittling the work to make a VNT work well with an engine - either I'm making a meal of it or it's really quite involved, but it's certainly not a bolt-on job.

Don't think so. That was the point of all this work - to make it a straight swap for the standard turbo. With a remap of course.

OK, I admit there maybe some screws to undo, pipes to take off, put back on etc as well as bolts ;) ;)

Steve

Sorry chaps you all wasted your time 200bhp has already been done & I saw it on Ebay: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=40064

:ph34r:

Nice !!!!!!! be even better if we could see a rolling road print out !!!!!!

I had twisted performance package on mine before ian and pete got there hand's on it twisted performance said it would make 220 bhp !!!!!!

ian and pete put it on the rolling road and it made 155 bhp anyone can say that there car make's the power but it would be better with the proof to back it up ! ;);)

Don't think so. That was the point of all this work - to make it a straight swap for the standard turbo. With a remap of course.

OK, I admit there maybe some screws to undo, pipes to take off, put back on etc as well as bolts ;) ;)

Steve

True but ian and pete have done a lot more than just bolt on bit's they have done day's and day's of live tuning plus other little trick's that no one has done before!!!

Steve

[/quote

i didnt have a standed turbo i had an hybrid turbo :P