MoT classifications - important for all of us

Godlykepower

Ok so I have a 110 with a vin plate that says 3050kg..... not looking good

I also wanted to check the vin code and found this bit of info :

Decoding the 17 digit Land Rover Chassis Number (VIN)

It will always start with "SALL" if it doesn't be very suspicious and check it's authenticity.

1st digit S = Region and S is Europe

2nd " A = U. K.

3rd " L = British Leyland-Land Rover

4th & 5th Digits LB = Sieries III's, lightweights and Stage 1

LD = 90 and 110

LH =Range Rover Mk1

LJ = Discovery

LN = Freelander

LP = Range Rover Mk 2

LT = Discovery Series II

6th Digit = Wheelbase

A = 88" or Freelander, & 109" on Range Rover Mk1

C = 109" and 1 Ton Truck

G = 100"

H = 110" and 147"

K = 127"

M = All Specials

R = 110"

S = Military 110"

V = 92.3"

7th Digit = Body Type

A = Truck cab & Soft Top

B = 3 Door Station Wagon or Freelander

E = 2 Door Crew Cab

F = 4 Door Crew Cab

H = High Capacity Pick-Up

M = 5 Door Station Wagon and 7 Door S W

R = Monteverdi RRover

8th Digit = Engine

B = 2.5 4 cyl Turbo Diesel

C = 2.5 N A Diesel

D = 2.5 4Cyl Petrol

F = 200 & 300 Tdi 2.5 4 Cyl Turbo Diesel

G = 2.25 Diesel and Freelander V6

H = 2.25 Petrol

M = 3.9 V8 Injection

P = 2.6 6 Cyl Petrol

V = 3.5 V8 Petrol (Carbs)

Y = 2.0 T16 Petrol

Z = 3.9 Izuzu Diesel

8 = Td5

9th Digit = Steering & Transmission

1 = RHD 4 Speed

2 = LHD 4 Speed

3 = RHD Auto

4 = LHD Auto

5 = RHD 4 Speed + Overdrive

6 = LHD 4 Speed + Overdrive

7 = RHD 5 Speed

8 = LHD 5 Speed

10th Digit = Model - Year

A = up to 1983

B = 1985

E = 1988

F = 1989

G = 1990

H = 1991

J = 1992

K = 1993

L = 1994

M = 1995

N = 1996

? = 1997

? = 1998

W = 1999

? = 2000

1 = 2001

2 = 2002

11th Digit = Assembly Location

A = Solihull

F = CKD

V = South Africa

12th to 17th Digits are the Chassis Serial Number

at least I now know how to read the Vin/chassis/frame number.

I'm glad that some people are finding this useful!

I no longer buy any magazines - partly as I lost my job for a couple of months last year and could not afford to, and mainly because they are filled with an amazing amount of carp - so I have not read about this subject anywhere.

As the subject of MoT's is not something I tend to think about often, it is very easy to have this one pass you buy - its not a case of having your head buried in the sand. I only happened on this as I was bored one evening and just happened to look at a thread that ordinarily I would not bother reading, as that did not really interest me, and it was within that thread I discovered all this.

I, as are others, am a member of other fora (plural of forums?) but hardly ever visit them as I find them to be filled with even more nonsense than the magazines *cough* LRA - and therefore its easy to miss this subject again.

So, to sum up, (and I doubt I am alone in saying this) but LR4x4 is my primary source of information for all things Land Rover. smile.gif

My 90 states 3499 on the V5. The chassis plate shows 4 lots of weights - from the top 2400,5900, 1-1200, 2-1380. I suppose my vehicle weight should read 2400 then. Are the others 5900 gross laden weight with the other two being axle weights??

I also checked the chassis number which ties up with the V5 BUT, mine has been converted from a 2.5 diesel to a 3.5 V8 Efi with auto, so the chassis digits do not completely tie up with Defcol decoding. Is this a problem ???

Cheers, Jon

Your VIN not matching the coding due to an engine change is not an issue. As long as the V5 has the correct info on the V8 it's fine. Your VIN plate numbers match mine exactly, and my V5 also says 3499Kg gross. So I've taken a picture of the VIN plate and will send it off to be corrected :)

I think the last two are axle weights yes, don't know what the second figure (5900) is, possible max train weight or something?

Edit: Yes it is:

post-10578-126539044278_thumb.jpg

Is it necessary to take a photo? After all, it could be any VIN plate !!

Yes, but presumably the vin number should match what is on the V5 and therefore what is linked to your number plate - so it cant be any vin plate really!

The requirement for a class 7 on certain vehicles will only apply when the duel purpose vehicle catagory dissappears.

At the moment it's still there, I MOTed a Hi-cap pick up this week, so had to check, still class 4.

The last special notice from VOSA said it would go "early 2010", so it's anyones guess.

As soon as I know I'll post it up here. There are going to be lots of owners who wont know they need a class 7 until they take the thing in and get told "sorry, can't do it". Unless they're going to write to all the owners of affected vehicles, can't see that happening.

There are only a few extra checks on a class 7 and these shouldn't concern the average L/R. So if yours will pass a class 4 it will pass a class 7.

So, as long as you know what class you will be in when the test is due there should be no problems.

My v5 states a revenue weight of 3499kg, there is no weight given on my VIN plate.

Anybody know what the revenue weight should be for a series 2a SWB petrol?

Dave, I found this excerpt for you from the link mentioned earlier....dont know if it helps?

For Series 3 before 1979, the GLW is given in the handbook as 2120kg for 88 inch vehicles, 2710kg for 109 inch (except the very rare One Ton model). I do not have figures for earlier vehicles.

Dave, I found this excerpt for you from the link mentioned earlier....dont know if it helps?

That's fantastic - it ties in nicely with what the car actually weighs too. On a recent visit to the tip to dispose of a quantity of kitchen, I wasn't allowed through the regular entrance as it's a truck cab, and in the eyes of the local council 'commercial', so I had to go in over the weigh bridge - on the way out it recorded 2100kg.

That's fantastic - it ties in nicely with what the car actually weighs too. On a recent visit to the tip to dispose of a quantity of kitchen, I wasn't allowed through the regular entrance as it's a truck cab, and in the eyes of the local council 'commercial', so I had to go in over the weigh bridge - on the way out it recorded 2100kg.

For Series 2a:

s2a.pdf

• 1 month later...

this is what my plate looks like. My revenue weight to write on the V5 is 2400. Correct?

Yes Ross 2400 kg is correct to go on your V5 reg doc, you'll notice that the front & rear axle weights added together = 2580kg But doesn't mean you can load the vehicle to 2580, the one to be under or spot on is the max gross of 2400.

What does the VIN identify it as? As per the list below (seventh character I think).

A

Basic

Soft Top

Pickup

Hardtop Van Commercial

Freelander 3 Door Commercial

Discovery 3 or 5 Door

B

Series III 88" Station Wagon

Defender 3door Station Wagon

Range Rover Classic 2 door

Discovery 3 door