8274 bumpers

samwilk200

Hi, I'm looking to make my own winch bumper for my 8274, as my current bumper acts as a plough and is too flimsy!

I want it to be as recessed as possible (no front mount intercooler to worry about), raised up for good approach angle and to be simple to make.

I'm after any pics/ideas/tips to help with my design.

Will probably make the winch cradle first, then look at chassis mounting, then finally weld some tube or box on the sides.

And was thinking of 10mm plate for cradle, bent to form a box round the winch, like most current designs.

Hi, I'm looking to make my own winch bumper for my 8274, as my current bumper acts as a plough and is too flimsy!

I want it to be as recessed as possible (no front mount intercooler to worry about), raised up for good approach angle and to be simple to make.

I'm after any pics/ideas/tips to help with my design.

Will probably make the winch cradle first, then look at chassis mounting, then finally weld some tube or box on the sides.

And was thinking of 10mm plate for cradle, bent to form a box round the winch, like most current designs.

I used a Gwyn Lewis bumper on my last motor. It was very well constructed, highmounted and took a good few bashings.

post-260-1165573120_thumb.jpg

I'll be looking at fab'ing this kind of thing for the new motor.

I'd agree with Jules about ARB bumpers; they're big and stick out a fair way in standard form but, with a little work, they can be pushed back. They're also seriously tough and offer excellant protection. This is what I've used for 4 years but I'm going down the same route as you as it'd be too much work making my new winch fit. However, I'll be having something simerlar made but I'll the oppertunity to push the winch higher.

Depending on what you want to do there are some nice options out there. I particularly like what Bob Seaman's had done to his 90 by Exact Fabrication. The photos on that thread don't really do it justice, though. Depending on how you design the bumper, 10mm should be more than enough for the winch cradle although it depends on what winch you're running.....

Its on a 90.

8274 is bog standard.

Like the looks of gwyns and devons, but i would like to make it myself.

May use 8mm for cradle now, would that still be strong enough??

It honestly depends on how the cradle is triangluated. Gywns are a good choice, though.

It would look a bit like gwyns yes. Cradle would be 2 bits. First would be bent into a u shape, around winch, then welded onto 2nd bit, 8mm flat which would mount to chassis.

Off to gwyns later so i'll ask him.

8mm is way OTT. 6mm is the most you want to be using and can be every bit stiff enough if your design is decent.

Building my own these days, I'd be more inclined to go for an interestingly folded 3mm which I reckon could be at least as strong & rigid as an averagely designed 6 or 8mm version!

But, if lard is your thing - 10mm or even 1/2" plate are most suitable.

Si

I guess, like Jez, I must just be running a girls winch!

Look at it another way. Your winch is held on by as few as 4 x M10 bolts in shear (so not as strong as in tension).

Imagine hammering out those four bolts into a sheet the same width as the load bearing bits of your tray. You would end up with something thinner than aluminium foil.

Foil is probably not rigid enough ;) - but you see the point? Stiffness you can obtain by putting in gussetts & folds, but material even 6mm thick is just not necessary for the strength required.

Si

The 127 rapier mount for the 8274 has the cradle made out of 4mm.

But this is for a standard winch in a standard appliction, after all an 8274 is only designed as an "ocasional use" winch,

By the time you've added a 6hp motor, widened and reduced the diameter of the drum and are useing it beyond it's design specs the loads the winch mount are seeing are much higher.

I personally wouldn't use anything thinner than 8mm, and i always face mount lowline winches to take the fixings out of sheer.

dont forget to tell your insurance while your at it

they love little add ons like this as a simple excuse to refuse a claim

they seem to think it makes your motor more desirable to the toe rags

My nephew was refused insurance because he fitted a roll cage - when he said "surely I've made it safer?", he was told that he would have affected the vehicle's crumple zones. his reply was witty, but still didn't get the insurance: "It's a Series Landrover mate, my crumple zones are on the OTHER car!"

If you look at the pic of mine on the garage floor you can see the braces that go back to the chassis rails and pick up on extisting holes in the chassis as do the holes in the round boss on the steering guard section. So in addition to the standard 4 bolts it has an extra 6 bolts through the chassis. As my bumper sits on top of the chassis rails there would be too much twist relying on just teh 4 original bolts.

My nephew was refused insurance because he fitted a roll cage - when he said "surely I've made it safer?", he was told that he would have affected the vehicle's crumple zones. his reply was witty, but still didn't get the insurance: "It's a Series Landrover mate, my crumple zones are on the OTHER car!"

Good reply!

Sometimes I wonder who they employ for these insurance companies. I phoned mine today about travel to Romania in January. Usually I have to pay extra for this as outside of EU. However, RO join January 1st. Simple request, do I need a new green card as RO crossed? (It also states all EU countries included) I can imagine the confusion this would cause on the border. The fella at Ins comp said, I quote, no you won't be covered. Your green card is only valid in UK and germany and countries in between on route!!!! Just made it up whilst drinking red bull! Asked to speak to his supervisor who said I was covered for all EU countries and would be fully covered for RO in Jan 07. So frustrating.

Do you know if all mods have to be reported to insurance companies, and where is the line drawn? Snorkel etc?

Cheers, Paul.