Transmission mounts

ejparrott

Ever LR to my knowledge from 1948 up to discovery 200TDi had two rubber mounts for engine and two for gearbox, and the Defender 200 even kept that up.  My knowledge gets a bit weak then but as far as I'm aware 300's, TD5 and later all reverted to the same 4 mounts.

So.  Why did the Discovery have two mounts for the engine and only one for the gearbox?  Whats the benefit of having 3 mounts instead of 4?  Is there one?  Is it because of the funky Disco engine mounts that weren't used on anything else?

Reason for asking, fitting the LT77 into my 88".  The rebuild is imminent, the chassis has now arrived from Richards, and even nearly right.  I've some magnifications to make to it and send it for galvanizing, but being August I'll probably wait until next year now to start the work.  Anyway, when I did my 109 I made brackets to fit it to the original Series mountings on the crossmember.  The thought was floating around, why do I need to fit 2 mounts, why couldn't I fit just one?  I do know at least one person has fitted it with just 1 mount, I don't know how it behaves though.  Is it something to be thought about, or is it not likely to work long term?

Cheers all

My guess is that it reduces NVH transmission to the chassis.  The torque reaction must be controlled well enough in tests, but perhaps didn't work well in real life after years of use took their toll; Discoverys towed a lot, be it boats, horses or caravans.

Interesting...what do we think then, go for a single central mount rubber for the LT77?  Changing it won't be much issue if it does fail in time...undo bolts, jack under gearbox, drop crossmember and away you go.

I wasn't going to bother with modifying the chassis for the original LT77 chassis mounts....been thinking about it since the chassis arrived and as it's bare steel I am tempted to drill and tube the chassis to suit...just in case...  A single mount on the (customized) removable gearbox crossmember would be similarly easy to modify, and if I change my mind at any point, a new new crossmember isn't the end of the world!

This I'm quite interested in... I'm not sure I've seen the single gearbox mount before, I've done some googling but can't really find any good pictures of it as I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, can you provide any links at all?

Would it be easy to retrofit a single mount set-up?

Ed, I'd fit the four mount version.  It's going to be more robust and resilient if one fails.  There's nothing to stop you preparing for both options and trying them out.

I think the harshness comes from the spec of the mounts' rubber.  The genuine SIII diesel mounts, then gen parts 200Tdi mounts I tried for the engine gave horrible vibration at idle, but the Bearmach ones from Glencoyne dramatically reduced it.  There was huge difference in the hardness of the rubber when I compared the GP ones against the BM ones in my hand.   I'd recommend using four of them.

I've already got a pair of the Glencoyne mounts in stock ready for the engine, I've been using normal Series 3 ones since the TDi went in 10 years ago or so an vibration is a problem.  I can soon order another pair for gearbox.

Decided I will actually mod the chassis to take the LT77/LT230 'normal' mounts, but I will also fit the Series removable crossmember in the correct place and leave my options open.

Yes it will be quite easy to swap around and try out 2 mounts or 1, all that will be required is making a new gearbox crossmember and having it galvenized again.

Anyone with a 200TDi disco should have just the single gearbox mount if I read the parts catalogue correctly Maverik.  There seems to be a steel bracket that mounts on the LT77 and the LT230, with the rubber bush bolted to the bottom of that, and then the crossmember, I'll have a look see if I can find any photos, or I'll photo the parts catalogue

I ran a 200 disco crossmember with central mount on my previous hybrid for several years. I used it to do some pretty stupid stuff generally p155ing about 'marshaling' and recovery of comp safari cars, never once got hung up on the crossmember, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Purely NVH, same reason all newer JLR products have 3 mounts. The idea is (in the off road guise) to find a bush which is very supple in rocking, but fairly stiff in vertical load. Something the Discovery 2 chassis end radius arm bush is very good at. 

4 mounts is more mounts but more doesn't necessarily mean better. It depends on failure mode. A D2 radius arm bush or similar is captive whereas the bobbin type mounts in failure shear off and leave no mechanical connection to the chassis