Flat power tool batteries - what to do ?

mad_pete

NiCd cells build up a memory over time, either from being part discharged and then recharged, which will set it's capacity at that partial rate, or from being permanently left on charge, which reduces their usable power to slightly less than full power.

Getting the pack rebuilt with new cells is the best option, or as said, simply run a cable from your spare car battery.

• 1 month later...

Got the Makita drill and impact combi set with the Lithium batteries so that's my battery problem fixed.  :-)   What would flatten my ni cads doesn't even move the dial on these.

Lots of power, my first impact driver and very nice.  I think that's the way to go, if I'd redone the nicds I think be in trouble again in 6 months. 

On 26/11/2017 at 1:12 PM, JohnnoK said:

NiCd cells build up a memory over time, either from being part discharged and then recharged, which will set it's capacity at that partial rate, or from being permanently left on charge, which reduces their usable power to slightly less than full power.

Getting the pack rebuilt with new cells is the best option, or as said, simply run a cable from your spare car battery.

Nicad dont have a memory effect, thats an old wives tale based on the very early (late 70s) versions which used sintered cell technology.

There are other causes which reduce capacity, including overcharge and heat, and just age/too many cycles.

On 20/11/2017 at 10:05 PM, mad_pete said:

Sorry should have said this is nicd. Zapping seems dangerous and I understand lithium batteries may / will explode if zapped. The videos only do it with nicds.

NiCads may burst, but Lith Ion batteries at worst just burn.  They need cooling, not smothering, to extinguish if it does go wrong.

• 1 month later...

So update and very pleased with the Makita set. Last time I got another Bosch drill so I could use the ni cad battery packs in both my old and new drill but that was a mistake I think now.  I hadn’t realised how poor the ni cads had got. Charge up to use and then charge after 5 mins drilling. The lithium batteries store and hold lots of power and I think definatly  the way forward for me.  Shame really as the Bosch drills are fine for what they are but just let down on the batteries.

I hate to think of how many perfectly good tools are lying around, (or thrown out!), just because the batteries are no good. I've got three cordless drills that are either unused or are being nursed along with eBay batteries. 

I’ve generally just bought replacement cells the same size & type with solder tabs then re-made the packs.  Sometimes the cells are not quite the same size - so it needs a bit of butchery to make them fit.

Cells from here have been decent

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/batteries.html

individual cells:

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/batteries/radio-control/single-cells.html

They will make up custom packs too if you don’t have a big enough soldering iron to make a decent joint.  They made me a 12v NiMh pack for my DeWalt Drill.  It didn’t fit in the original casing so I just Glued it to the plastic bit which inserts into the drill, sawn off the original pack.  Worked great and gave double the capacity of the original.

Si

Edited by simonr