Second fuel tanks

GBMUD

I was wondering, inspired by hearing other peoples tales, about fitting a second fuel tank to my 90 in order to increase the range between fill-ups. I have seen this one, which I assume to be a fuel tank, fitted to a 90...

AUT_9317.jpg

...no, not the 8274 before some bright spark mentions it! :P

and I feel that something similar might be the way for me to go.

Any suggestions on what to use, where to get it from or how to arrange the plumbing? I was thinking that having it joined to the main fuel tank might be an option - blocking off the existing filler and filling the existing tank through the new one... am I making this clear? The bottom of the new tank would be above the top of the old one and would be joined by some hose and the whole lot would behave as one tank. Would the fuel return work OK in it's current position? I.E. entering the tank at below fuel level?

I understand that boat fuel (outboard motor?) tanks can be used as auxiliary tanks - are they likely to be up to the job from a ruggedness point of view? I would plan to box in any tank fitted on the wheel-box and install proper ventilation to the outside. Has anyone got pictures of such an installation or something similar or anything else worth of consideration? It is for diesel BTW. :)

TIA

Chris

As long as you don't have a rear winch you can fit a TD5 rear tank quite easily.

The tank itself is dirt cheap 2nd hand and you can get a pick up/return fitting suitable for a Tdi or indeed a V8 as a genuine part (fitted to some export spec cars) to replace the in-tank pump.

It needs a couple of brackets welding to the chassis, and the TD5 skid/support plate needs trimming, but you could fit it in a day for less than £100.

Either plumb in a changeover tap ideally, or fit an electric transfer pump to fill one from the other.

All the best,

Giles

my 90 ha twin tanks for the main reason we needed it around aus.

It has a TD5 style tank (but in stainless) in the rear along with the normal 300 tdi tank under the seat, It uses a V8 fuel pump with switch to pump from the back tank to the front tank. So when the front tank is empty you just turn on the pump and fill the front tank up again. It has a y bit on the normal filler so you can fill up both tanks at the same time or just the back or just the front

Too Easy

post-178-1166008321_thumb.jpg

post-178-1166008565_thumb.jpg

As an OT - who's wagon is that? I recognise it from the Member's Vehicles section but despite a search cannot find it. Any ideas or a link would be much appreciated!

Its Ced's wagon. That cylinder is a swirl pot AFAIK so you can use a generic fuel pump and tdi fuel tank with a TD5

The tank I was refering to in the picture was the square black shape on the driver side (this is a left hooker remember) wheel box. I was assuming that it was a fuel tank as there is a fuel style filler in place of the LHS rear window, you can just see the edge of it in the pic.

I thought about Td5 tanks and they are indeed a good idea - perhaps that is the way to go... I was reluctant to add any more tanks underneath as they seem to create mud traps - and I would have to move my exhaust. :)

Whichever way I go I would rather have one fill point although I guess that there are advantages to having 2 seperate tanks. Would the Td5 in-tank pump be OK as a fuel transfer pump if I were to go down this route?

someone has been trawling the biodiesel websites!

Not today but yes. :)

Chris

Sorry for any confusion, it was the tank I was interested in, hence the interior picture. Tony is spot on though, the filler is more visible in that picture. :)

Chris

these guys will be able to help http://www.tek-tanks.com/ but they won't be cheap as they have marine in the name but they can make any size shape plastic tanks we use them at work they are very good

mike :D

Hi Guys,

Ced's truck has now done away with the high up filler and has one filler in the usual TD5 place,

1 x 45L tank pasenger side in std 300tdi place and one x mirror 50L tank on drivers side (continental) and a Y piece inside the fillen neck with stainless tube joining them both.

Twin lifter pumps into the swirl pot you see with one high pressure pump drawing from that, the engine return goes into the swirl pot and the overflow into the drivers side tank which is used as the primary. Twin gauges on dash. 95 Litres in total.

Hope it helps.

Lara.

Guest diesel_jim

Could someone explain to an eejit like me, what the swirl pot is needed for on a td5? say, compared to a 300 which just draws fuel straight from the engine and dumps the excess back there again.

is it to do with the fuel cooler?

answers on a postcard pleeease! :D

Could someone explain to an eejit like me, what the swirl pot is needed for on a td5? say, compared to a 300 which just draws fuel straight from the engine and dumps the excess back there again.

is it to do with the fuel cooler?

answers on a postcard pleeease! :D

Hi Jim,

Strictly speaking there is no need for a swirl pot.

BUT.

In a competition vehicle that is often at strange angles for extended periods it is desirable to have a sensible size swirl pot (otr just a resevoir) of say 2 litres, as it is designed to be kept full at all times and therefore, even if the lifter pumps run dry due to the angle of the vehicle, the swirl pot could still feed the engine for at least 30 minutes. Most well designed swirl pots are long and tall for this very reason, (harder to uncover the fuel pickup)

Lara.

Guest diesel_jim
Hi Jim,

Strictly speaking there is no need for a swirl pot.

BUT.

In a competition vehicle that is often at strange angles for extended periods it is desirable to have a sensible size swirl pot (otr just a resevoir) of say 2 litres, as it is designed to be kept full at all times and therefore, even if the lifter pumps run dry due to the angle of the vehicle, the swirl pot could still feed the engine for at least 30 minutes. Most well designed swirl pots are long and tall for this very reason, (harder to uncover the fuel pickup)

Lara.

Aha, gotcha. do Td5's have these as standard then? (in built in the main tank?) or is it just a precaution so that the vulnerable Td5 fuel pump doesn't run dry and kill itself?

Hi Jim,

Not standard but mainly a precaution for heavy off roading, if you kill your engine your batteries will be dead very quickly in a very heavy pull!

On the TDI type tank it is long and thin front to back which is not good for pickup on heavy angles.

Ced's car runs one HP pump by the swirl pot and two lifters low down near the tanks.

Lara.

I had a Tdi Disco 1 which had a swirl pot on the bottom of the tank pick-up pipe. I guess that being larger and flatter than a 90 tank they suffer more from the fuel ending up at one corner of the tank away from the pick-up.

Chris

The 90 tdi tank does indeed have a device fitted inside which is I suppose what you could call a swirll pot ,its designed to hold about 3 litres of fuel to supply the pick up when the vehicles nose is skybound ,and the pickup is near the front of the tank so it can still pick up when on the down hill , providing that your not running on vapours.

The 90 tdi tank does indeed have a device fitted inside which is I suppose what you could call a swirll pot ,its designed to hold about 3 litres of fuel to supply the pick up when the vehicles nose is skybound ,and the pickup is near the front of the tank so it can still pick up when on the down hill , providing that your not running on vapours.

That's waht my fuel sender sees as a 'Reserve'