I've been offered a Bob!

Paul McCleary

I have been offered a bobtail as a swap for one of my other cars.

The spec is as follows:

1989 RRC

3.9 V8 on gas,

12 spline axles,

Scorpion springs, Rear links, dislocation cones and front shock turrets and wheel spacers,

Camber corrected Hockey sticks,

33" Fedima Siroccos on Modulars.

K+N filter,

CB,

QT diff guards and steering guard,

Pro-comp shocks,

Tube bumpers,

Superwinch EPi 9

I'm told?? It was built for an Italian chap called Paulo. His family owned a body shop in Deeside and it was built for him by them.

The chap who has it now I have known for a number of years and we share mutual friends, so I have been given it full and colorful history including the bad bits (and there are a lot of them).

As it stands it need the body tidying up, Rear pads and discs, front pads and a front hub seal, O/S + N/S rear shock absorber top bushes, a front prop, a rear arch section re-fitting, and some of the interior plastics need re-fitting.

It comes with a load of spare panels inc some bob tailed replacements in a bobbed roof panel, a number of axles and another set of RRC alloys with BFG Mud's fitted.

Also,it is taxed and MOT'd.

Its not mint, and it does need work.

What do you all think?

Paul. <_<

post-1435-1166088616_thumb.jpg

post-1435-1166088642_thumb.jpg

post-1435-1166088657_thumb.jpg

...or some mechanical sympathy :ph34r:

...or sell them and fit some more sensibly sized ones.

Its not like 10 splind are hard to find is it I have four sets in my garden I couldn't give away...

I ran 12,50 x 33's EXT's and only broke one diff in three years playing before I went up to the 34 simex.

I looks like a grate little toy to me.

If you drive like a ares it will brake if you don't it won't simple as that.

It may not be up to scratch as a comp truck but if your after a toy then it looks ok to me.

Jules

Looks like this bob you've been offered is up for £3k in the back of TOR this month :blink:

Not sure I'd want to pay that for it :ph34r:

Not just this month, its been in there for at least 3months, i seem to remember seeing it on ebay too, although i may be mistaken

Its not like 10 splind are hard to find is it I have four sets in my garden I couldn't give away...

I ran 12,50 x 33's EXT's and only broke one diff in three years playing before I went up to the 34 simex.

I looks like a grate little toy to me.

If you drive like a ares it will brake if you don't it won't simple as that.

It may not be up to scratch as a comp truck but if your after a toy then it looks ok to me.

Jules

jules if you've got 10 spline shafts you couldn't give away i'm sure i can find a home for them :blink: (can't afford to change them yet so spares is next best thing :ph34r: )

mike

This Bob isn't the one in TOR, but I did have to take a second look! Very very similar looking motor.

I now own the Bob.The previous owner made me an offer for my Manta Courtenay Turbo that I couldn't refuse, so I didn't. ;)

One rear Pro-comp shock is knackered, the N/S/F Hubseal is leaking, the front prop is badly worn, and it needs a general tidy up, but it is better than I thought it would be. <_<

Not that any of it matters, as I was only treating it a the basis for a bit of a project anyway.

I've made myself a little shopping list of things that I'd like to replace, like the axles for example.

I'm told its got a 200TDi gearbox and defender transfer box instead of the original auto, they seem fine, so they can stay.

It flexes reasonably well and managed to bottom the front and rear shocks easy enough.

The tires measure 32 inches tall and crowd up in the arches really well, so they can stay too.

I want to use the Bob to tow my other off roaders to events and play days, and act as a tow motor should the need arise.

I'm off to give it a test in the morning at a friends play site. I'll probably break it, so I'll report back wth photos of shame. :blink:

Paul. :D

Well it all went swimmingly well with 'Dodgy Bob' performing quite well, in fact far better than I thought.

It needs personalizing. I don't like some of the way things have been done, so it will be getting a make over and a raft of mods in the new year.

I also stand corrected on the TOR advert. My mate scanned what he thought was the ad and sent it to me and obviously it wasn't the car. I checked my TOR's in work and there was 'Dodgy Bob'.

I have to say I wouldn't have paid 3 grand for it!!

Some pics.

post-1435-1166429625_thumb.jpg

post-1435-1166429644_thumb.jpg

post-1435-1166429668_thumb.jpg

post-1435-1166429683_thumb.jpg

post-1435-1166429705_thumb.jpg