1 minute ago, steve b said:

What about the correct bell housing for the 1uz and the LR bell housing coming together with the band saw and TIG welder?

Steve

It's not quite as simple as that, hole's on both are similar pcd but not in alignment so it needs a thick spacer to get all hole's in, 1 uz side will need to be held with Allen  bolts first then lt77 offered up

Regards Stephen 

31 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

This thread updates quicker than I can eat my lunch!

Edit: I should add that it is a great read, especially as it's all out of my league and that's what makes it all the more interesting.

I wouldn't worry, it's out of my league at times...

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 1

Just now, steve b said:

I was thinking take the LR bell bolt face off all together then cut the Lexus housing bell and bolt flange at the right length to fit then weld up, doing away with an adaptor lump ? 

Steve 

I think from memory you'd still need to make a spacer because the LR is quite thick and the A340 bell housing drops down in diameter quite quickly so may not offer the necessary clearance.

4 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I think from memory you'd still need to make a spacer because the LR is quite thick and the A340 bell housing drops down in diameter quite quickly so may not offer the necessary clearance.

Worth a look though as the spacer would only be a plain ring to weld each side with this scheme

Steve

Versus just drilling and tapping a few extra holes?

It has the downside though that you've introduced a "custom" bell housing into the mix to replicate or replace if you need to it would need two more gearboxes.

You would also then need to find somewhere to mount the clutch slave cylinder.

I can send you my cad if its at all helpful. It was almost perfect.... 52.1mm though. I looked at the spacing from the face of the flywheel. 2 bolt holes didn't line up (internet borrowed dimensions.... Might have been for a different sump design.

Taking on @steve b's comments I'm going to have a look at cutting a 200tdi engine housing that gearbox mates onto and make a flange out of some 8mm chequer plate for the 1uz side of things hopefully be able to tig something together that does the job and looks half decent........

I'm also part way through making a mould for casting.....couple of options or I could spend a grand......not happening, no way I have a reputation to maintain...lol

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

This already feels like ancient history now - not that I doubt your for a second, but were those flywheel bolt spacers a tight fit?

Tap in fit Sir....is that OK.....lol

@jad didn't fit any and his has been ok

Regards Stephen 

19 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Tap in fit Sir....is that OK.....lol

@jad didn't fit any and his has been ok

Regards Stephen 

As I said, I wasn't doubting you - just that it wasn't mentioned, and I'm fairly paranoid where large spinning lumps of metal are concerned, I've seen the photo from a race car that had a flywheel come loose and exit through the cabin and it certainly focuses the mind :blink:

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

As I said, I wasn't doubting you - just that it wasn't mentioned, and I'm fairly paranoid where large spinning lumps of metal are concerned, I've seen the photo from a race car that had a flywheel come loose and exit through the cabin and it certainly focuses the mind :blink:

Don't give him any more mad ideas! :hysterical:

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It's the clamp load that will give the strength rather than the shear strength of the bolts. Maybe if it was a drag racer with hard launches I might be a little concerned. 

1 hour ago, Wytze said:

Not much... Just a 1000 pound flange made😁😁

No what's depressing is Stephen made the bit that didn't fit before anyone could blink (the flywheel). When I was thinking of fitting the 1UZ to the Sandringham then I was looking at doing what Stephen had but my lathe wasn't anywhere close to being big enough. Then plans changed and it was being dropped into the Defender and oo look there was an off-the-shelf adapter. I'm drastically time poor(e) at the moment and have been since I moved down here so I had some spare cash and thought why not.

Kit arrives - cut off the ring gear from the flex plate and heat it up as Stephen did to drop it on - knock supplied spigot bearing in, bolt up adapter plate find that four bolts are the wrong thread - ah well there's plenty in there for the moment, I can source some later. Right - time to put the flywheel on... Oh... Doesn't fit over the crank - the centre bore is too small. Email Shabs and go through some measurements and the short version is he's adamant that there must be something different with my engine / crank because he's never had an issue before. Hmm., wonder who cocked up a measurement - someone turning out a handful of adapters a year or Toyota who built over 250,000 of them from the 1980s to ~2000. I mean they built 900 prototypes FFS!

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

No what's depressing is Stephen made the bit that didn't fit before anyone could blink (the flywheel). When I was thinking of fitting the 1UZ to the Sandringham then I was looking at doing what Stephen had but my lathe wasn't anywhere close to being big enough. Then plans changed and it was being dropped into the Defender and oo look there was an off-the-shelf adapter. I'm drastically time poor(e) at the moment and have been since I moved down here so I had some spare cash and thought why not.

Kit arrives - cut off the ring gear from the flex plate and heat it up as Stephen did to drop it on - knock supplied spigot bearing in, bolt up adapter plate find that four bolts are the wrong thread - ah well there's plenty in there for the moment, I can source some later. Right - time to put the flywheel on... Oh... Doesn't fit over the crank - the centre bore is too small. Email Shabs and go through some measurements and the short version is he's adamant that there must be something different with my engine / crank because he's never had an issue before. Hmm., wonder who cocked up a measurement - someone turning out a handful of adapters a year or Toyota who built over 250,000 of them from the 1980s to ~2000. I mean they built 900 prototypes FFS!

I know what you mean.   The reason, that i allway's take the hard way of fabricating something..  Like Stephen does.    It seems as if there is less and less knowhow at companies that should know what they are doing...  And if it's not right, they just point a finger