Persistent LT77 leak

I have had a number of gearbox leaks for a while now. Topping up fortnightly has kept on top of the levels (they dont lose much) but its consistently wet with oil under the vehicle.

At the weekend, I dropped the overdrive and transfer box again and have solved all but one leak.

I am still getting a small amount of ATF weeping down the join between the main box and the transfer box. To date I have tried several new seals, last weekend, I changed the collar the seal runs on and the o ring it slides over along with a new seal again. The seals are good quality (corteco or that level). There is a grub screw in the rear LT77 casing, but I have sealed this with silicone so dont beleive it can be that. The breather is clear. I am drving the seals in so that they are just beneath the level of the main box - i.e. the outer edge of the seal is flush with the chamfered edge of the hole it sits in.

Any ideas? My drive is a mess with oil drips and I would like to solve this once and for all! I need the vehicle daily too so box off and send off is not really an option I want to take.

No. I wish it was. That was one of the leaks before this weekend, but we solved that temporarily whilst the boxes were off at the weekend with yet more sealant worked into the shaft hole. I am going to get another box sleeved and rebuild it to permanently solve that problem. I am as sure as i can be that this is ATF. Its driving me nuts and there is a limit to the number of times I want to take these boxes off and back on again in the same day! This is the fourth time in a year that we have tried to solve this!

I am worried that the gearbox mainshaft is ever so slightly out of line or the seal is not in entirely square, but i would have thought both of these would be difficult to achieve even if you were trying!

Agreed, unlikely to be a seal, they need to be quite a way off to leak, and I doubt you are that inept after doing it 4 times ;)

Only real way is to loosen and slide back, brake clean, go for a really short drive and loosen again to see where it is coming from.

I ran it on the ramp with the transfer box removed and it seemed good by that seal. Its proving a hard one to track down, but there is definitely red oil running down between the transfer box and main box. 

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Agreed, unlikely to be a seal, they need to be quite a way off to leak, and I doubt you are that inept after doing it 4 times ;)

Only real way is to loosen and slide back, brake clean, go for a really short drive and loosen again to see where it is coming from.

Do this, but once everything is clean and dried, give it a good dusting in talcum powder before bolting it up.

When you drop it apart again the source of the oil should be easy to track  in the powder.

• Like 1

That picture looks like ATF to me, but have you tried blotting a spot of ATF and a bit of EP90 on some paper either side of sample from the leak? It might show a helpful comparison.

If that doesn't help, you can get fluorescent dyes to add to the gear box oil. Never used them myself but might be worth a try?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/302701362993?chn=ps&adgroupid=51456964475&rlsatarget=pla-429319282044&abcId=1130086&adtype=pla&merchantid=118934974&poi=&googleloc=1007265&device=c&campaignid=1029031424&crdt=0

1 hour ago, cackshifter said:

OK, another thing you might do if you are desperate (you do sound a bit desperate) is to pressurise the box slightly through the breather, while it is on the ramp - that might be enough to make it leak more rapidly and let you spot it. 

I think i will try this (and the talc idea) next. It will be a few weeks before i can be bothered to remove the transfer box again though!

• 2 years later...

Hi DC - sorry, my answer probably isn't what you want to hear. This box had to come off every two years on average for various faults (failure to engage reverse, difficult to engage 1st, leak from front cover gasket, layshaft bearing failure, leak - that no-one ever managed to fix properly above). It always went back to the company I bought it from who fixed it (never fixed the leak) at cost each time but of course that didn't involve any form of recompense for the days to remove, days to replace and the time off of the road in between. This leak was followed by yet another failure where the 1-2 syncro spacer appeared to have cracked in half and the input shaft pinion bearing also failed. The box was a disaster from day 1 so I gave up on it and came to an agreement with the supplier that if they bought the box back off of me I would take my trade elsewhere....

Bristol Transmissions built a stumpy R380 for me so that cured the leak from my point of view! I just hope my old box wasn't 'rebuilt' and passed on to someone else. A few of us wondered if the main and extension housings had been mixed up on the LT77 above as they should stay as matched pairs as I think they are machined together before they are built so ensure shafts etc are aligned. A slight misalignment could potentially cause the leak, but I never got to the bottom of it.

The R380 I have now has been good so far! 

• Like 1

I've had a stumpy R380 since mid 1994, the first on failed when the layshaft bearings went leaving me with 1,2,3, & 4, no reverse or 5th. replaced by a Ashcroft  unit about 12 years ago, its been fine, much prefer the R380 over the LT77. 

Thanks for the details @reb78 appreciate it. My box has always been smooth and I do change the ATF regularly (probs more than needed). I’m not allowed back to work yet so have another couple of weeks free. I might as well drop the RT230 transfer and have a look. It seems like a mix of EP90 and ATF to be honest. I laughed today when I was sniffing the oil. For me ATF smells like strong B.O. 😂 

Would a stubby R380 fit a 2.5na and RT230 tranny? 🤔