britpart stuff

discodave

Paddocks do a Britpart version of the one shot grease (most Britpart stuff is garbage but the grease is ok) that comes in a squeezy bottle rather than a sachet... its around £3 per side....

m@tt.

Ha! think i've worked out the quote button!

as i've been reading around i've seen quite a few swipes at britpart stuff, like the one above from freeagent, i've just got new front disks and pads from paddock spares and the hub seals are...... you've guessed it! should i be looking for oem seals, has anyone used britpart with a good story to tell? i was gonna get swivel kits from paddock as well but will the bearings be any good. i just dont know anything about this stuff but i'd rather pay more for good stuff and not have to see it again for a while. any help appreciated. dave :wacko:

Ha! think i've worked out the quote button!

as i've been reading around i've seen quite a few swipes at britpart stuff, like the one above from freeagent, i've just got new front disks and pads from paddock spares and the hub seals are...... you've guessed it! should i be looking for oem seals, has anyone used britpart with a good story to tell? i was gonna get swivel kits from paddock as well but will the bearings be any good. i just dont know anything about this stuff but i'd rather pay more for good stuff and not have to see it again for a while. any help appreciated. dave :wacko:

IMHO britpart stuff ain't that clever i found there stuff seems to barely last a year and my local supplier got so fed up with it that they stock allmakes instead now

mike

I've found their quality to be highly variable. All the independents round my way stock a lot of Britpart stuff, so I've used quite a few bits. Some parts are perfectly good and made by reputable manufacturers, others are so bad they just don't fit. I've never had a Britpart part fail on me, but I have had some I've thrown out because they couldn't be used. The 'rims' from their brake piston seal kits spring to mind - they were too big to go in the bores and I had to reuse the old ones.

i've got some Britpart stuff on my truck, i've got a set of their brake discs that seam to be fine, but have had hub seals that were so badly manufactured they didn't actually fit, and a waterpump that lasted 11 days....

i would buy stuff like brake discs, lights, grease, and 'non precission' parts from them, but would steer clear of seals, bearings, pumps, and anything that is either important, or a real pain to fit.

you can normally find OEM stuff for little more than Britpart if you shop about.

and paddocks have started listing OEM stuff on their website, alond side the britpart gear, like clutch master cylinders made by Lucas, for only a few pounds more than the britpart item...

its up to you, but when your 'new' water pump spews all your coolant out after a week, don't say i didn't warn you ;)

ta for the advice chaps, think i'll stick to oem for critical parts like you say. i'm scottish and love a bargin but snot much o a bargin when you've got to replace it twice as often. cheers. dave B)

i reckon Geoff is right, maybe their quality inspection/ process control is a bit iffy... so as Forest Gump used to say....

"you never know what you're gonna get"

there are plenty of alternatives out there, so you don't have to play the Britpart quality control lottery....

My money goes on OEM branded stuff, a lot of the own brand stuff is rubbish, bushes etc you should avoid like the plague I wore out a set of shocker bushes in a week and 150 miles once!

generally my rule is for critical parts (timing belts for example) and suspension bushes/brake pads - genuine only

ancilliary and electrical items e.g. alternator starter brake servo brake booster steering joints etc and also all filters - OEM branded

very few things I would touch as "own brand" to be honest....

Bearmach do a good range of OEM stuff and the prices are good, we buy a lot from them

well thats pretty scary really, :( considering the number of pattern makes being supplied by supposedly reputable dealers. i've already bought my disks n pads from paddock, the disks are powerbrake, never heard o them, but the pads are mintex and i've fitted them to my peugeot 405 before and they seemed fine, i know the disco's a different kettle of fish though. i'm letting famous four do all the work on it at the moment as i'm new to 4x4's and come mid january it's gonna be off road 6 - 7 days a week and i want to make sure as much as possible that it's not gonna give me too many headaches, at least from stuff that's already been done so they're supplying new rear calipers and swivel balls. i'm just hoping that with 132000 on the clock there's not too much else worn on the inside :unsure: think the rear diff maybe on the way out though as there was quite a bit of metal in the oil when they serviced it last week. been looking at their parts list though and to be honest for the smaller items such as seals and the like, it doesnt seem like the cost is that much more than for branded stuff anyway :) hardly seems worth it !

Britpart will supply Genuine Rover parts....at approximatly the same price as your local Rover dealer or usually a little bit cheaper.

They will also supply OEM parts at a lesser price and none-branded stuff which is cheapest. I have been using the OEM selection on both of my Rovers and have had no cause to complain.

Bogmonster Steve is spot-on with his summary.....

Britpart caliper kits are rubbish. I think their rubber seals are Ok, but the steel rings are of an incorrect cross-section and flatten out when pressed in. The LR stuff is OEM and costly, but can be fitted in 5 minutes rather than struggling to no good.

Britpart discs are ok, and we use Ferodo pads, though Mintex are also fine.

Parts for Series vehicles are becoming a problem, as they all seem to be junk. Better to get second hand bits instead in most cases.

I must say that Bearmach stuff seems to be generally better than Britpart. County parts are not worth the cardboard boxes they come in.

IMHO britpart stuff ain't that clever i found there stuff seems to barely last a year and my local supplier got so fed up with it that they stock allmakes instead now

mike

dunno about the allmakes stuff as i've not tried it yet but i've fitted plenty britpart stuff to my defender in fact i've invoices going back 15 years for just about everything thats been fitted and i can wholeheartedly agree with everyone who says it's carp. the clutch slave cyl lasted 7 weeks, the headlights were so shoddy i gave them away, the door lock lasted 11 months, the rear wiper motor did not even work, neither did it's replacement, the prop shaft uj's failed on the new prop etc, etc, basicly it's like mike says your lucky if you get the year out of it!!

good luck paul

• 6 years later...

I have just replaced the chassis on my Disco and asked the very same question on the International forum a while back about polybushes and brake disks. In the end I used other makes for those particular items but because I was buying quite a lot of stuff and sometimes on EBay where the make was not given I ended up with quite a few blue box stuff.

I never had any problems fitting anything from Britpart and after 1500miles I have not so far had any issues. I am currently playing with a P38 and again have been supplied with some blue boxed stuff and again I do not see any problems.

Give me anothe 5000miles and maybe I will have some moans.