Help with front selt belts

The front seat belts on my (90 cab) defender are simply bolted through the think aluminium seat box via a m8 bolt and nut!

I cannot believe this is correct since the seat box offers very little support, in the event of a crash I’m sure the bolts would pull straight through the seat box.

I must be missing some kind of anchor mounts! Can anyone tell me how their seat belt attached to the seat box, both parts as they are both just bolted through the seat box floor!

Thanks Dan

After looking at my tub today i cannot see how the anchors would mount to the chassis unless they are huge!

below are a few pics of my seat box, I can see a mark where some kind of plate was once fitted but no option to attach to the chassis!

IMG_0654.thumb.JPG.178edb741e08f6db9ea799d0620d2cb8.JPG

The belt real attaches of the chassis outrigger arm:

image.thumb.jpeg.24e924252ad43ada7c071ca990a0a5d4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.077b056fc80f9e984f344b5f06852a48.jpeg

Any idea?

Thanks Dan

Not the best of pics, but the you'll see those brackets on the cills on my old chassis...

image.jpeg.02e722c6a1bb6be91a7515664caf43ae.jpeg

The two new bolts in your pic need removed to allow the captive studs to go up through your seatbox and then the inertia reel us secured to this. 

On the clip/buckle side depending on year you'll have two large brackets protrude from the tub...you'll see them sticking out in this pic just where the chain is resting...

image.thumb.jpeg.56db2ab0ca5c248560dd2f05bfc241f2.jpeg

The earlier ones had these type of chassis brackets...

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/seatbelt-to-chassis-bracket-hot-dip-galvanised-land-rover-defender/

In the previous post, those 2 brackets on the cross member bolt through to the front bottom rail of the tub. On the other side of the tub rail is this bracket - part number 395252. The longer bolt on the RHS (passenger mount pictured - they are the same both sides), is the bolt which goes through that chassis bracket.  The short bolt just goes through the tub. The captive nuts for the seat belt buckle stalks can be seen at the top of the bracket.

r9uS7W.jpg

As others have said, your bracket in your post needs to attach to the tub/tubular outrigger bracket on the chassis attachment bolts. The studs go through the tub and the inertia reel bolts to that. Here is mine. The galv bit is the tab on the tubular outrigger, with its bolts. The studs that go through the  tub for the inertia reel are at the top. Given you have steel in contact with ally, I would strongly advise adding a rubber/plastic gasket between the 2 surfaces to avoid the white corrosion you have in your pic. Mine were made from an old inner tube!

KbVmbW.jpg

Edited by simonb

12 hours ago, Dan D90 said:

thanks everyone, its the tab like protrusions shown in scotts90 picture of his tub that i am missing!

image.thumb.jpeg.067eb954993463a6e055074dadedccc0.jpeg

Any ideas?

Thanks for the rubber tip Simonb 👍

What age is your 90? You seem to be missing the two folded sections with the captive nuts and the smaller angle-iron type brackets which tie them to the chassis.

The problems is I really don't know what is missing, it's my first defender and it has been rebuilt with a mixture of body parts on a Richards chassis.  The log book says it's a 91 but it has a TD5 tub.

I will take some more pictures from underneath.

Thanks Dan

This is a terrible, terrible, sketch.... but might give you an idea.... image.png.991036a5dd78033677b87c26638547c2.png

Blue is the bit with the two captive nuts as per @simonb's picture above:
r9uS7W.jpg

And the Red bit is in @Scotts90's post above.... 
image.png.bfd87dadf3bbc9856f9ec29512d76e38.png

I can't remember whether the bracket to the chassis lines up with the inner or outer hole on the captive nut bracket.

Thanks, Landroversforever, that helps a lot, its seem I have the part attached to the chassis, however it dose not line up with the pre drilled hole in the tub. The bit that is confusing me now is how these brackets connect ot the actual seatbelt anchors??

Below are a couple of photos of what i mean, the outlines in red are where I assume the brackets will be, in yellow is where my seat belt anchors were attached, there are obviously not in the same place so do I have the wrong seat belt anchors or is there an additional bracket (3rd piece) that is needed?InkedIMG_0678_LI.thumb.jpg.f198a4538a6d3c612ea3c0b4365a246e.jpg

InkedIMG_0680_LI.thumb.jpg.fd3d3ff1ea490a07322bd13421a59f44.jpg

In the pic below there is an impression of where there used to be some kind of support bracket (like what is shown in scotts90 picture of his tub, outlined in green, this is where my seat belt anchors attach:

image.thumb.jpeg.e6cb1f206923306cccbe27985be0671e.jpeg

Could the issue be that I have a TD5 tub and an old style seat box so things are not going to match up?

Many thanks Dan

No, its the main seat anchors paime, i am missing the support brackets as currently they just have bolts and washers attached through the seat box! If you are able to take a photo under your td5 it might help to find out how they should be supported on an OEM TD5

Thanks Dan

The 110 had some brackets for the post side - nothing for the centre. So I made them myself sfater learning what they cost here..

Steel 4 mm strip, bolted to the chassis does the job nicely...

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

I think the two holes you've got highlighted with the yellow and green are probably the centre seat mounting holes I'd have thought. The red ones are where the seatbelt mounts should be for your age of car. 

If you are right then I have the wrong seat belt anchors as the bolt holes don't line up even if you turn them the wrong way !🤠

IMG_0682.thumb.JPG.a80ddf914a8f3ba955e6e4b8c4193ec7.JPG

Forget about the seat box holes (yellow) as none of the seat belt bits attach to that. Your twin hole stalk should never have been attached to the seat box, where you marked in "green pen".

Its the rear tub front rail which is important. Your holes (red pen) in that look correct for the (correct) single hole stalk. Scotts 200tdi chassis uses the same brackets as my 300tdi, and Landroversforever's sketches tie up with my pics from yesterday.

You need to check your chassis has the fixings for the YRM bracket that was linked to. EDIT: So where Landroversforever has drawn his red bracket, that red bit actually goes further to the right on that top hat section (on the top of the cross member) e.g to the right of your bent bolt exhaust hanger. Looking again at that pic, I think you already have that bracket fitted - its that silver/slightly rusty/galv thing that runs next to the tub support channel.

You may have to drill a couple of holes in the ally of the tub to fix the captive nut bracket I mentioned yesterday 395252, but that's easier than making bespoke steel bits. EDIT 2 - in your pic with the green pen on - I can see one of the holes in the tub for this bracket. its to the left of your cable trunking. I think you therefore just need 2x 395252.

Plus there is the safety aspect, the right bits will have been designed for strength.

Edited by simonb

Here's a pic of my td5 seatbox during strip down. You'll see the same rigid style buckle anchor as Dan has pictured, the long protruding brackets from the tub (in my pic with the tub dangling in mid air) are where these are bolted through the seatbox. My 200tdi is all anchored via the tub with flexi stalks but the td5 differs.

image.thumb.jpeg.962d9c127bc9dc27ade72ac58e62461f.jpeg

So the brackets in the pics by paime are what you need for the anchors (the ones with the cables tagged on) to suit the td5 tub/seatbox

I’m really grateful for everyone’s input, especially the chaps who have taken the time to post up pictures.

I have found the brackets in Paime’s photo on ebay for £20, I will give them a shot and report back.