Clutch Info help !

Hi all,

Have a new super doopery very special dual diaphram clutch for my V8. I am told this "Might" (will) give a harder pedal to push, and that later ? LR Defenders had / have an "over center" clutch turret assembly ?

Anyone know what year / model this over center turret box / pedal assembly was fitted to please ?

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You can buy the extra spring + bushes for about £20 as a kit from Bearmach (DA1266), they claim it just pops into any older pedal assembly.

Technically that is wrong - it will only fit td5s and pumas that came without the spring fitted. Pre 300tdi used a different pedal box without the cutout for the springs.

Yes, unfortunately the "will fit any year" is bad info that is attached to the spring kits.

The other thing to watch with the new pedal boxes is that they do not have an adjustable "up" stop.  You are supposed to adjust the master rod to set the up height, which keeps it in constant tension.  IMO, it is a bad design and I add the up stop screw to my boxes.  Of course, I don't really like the feel of the overcenter spring.  It makes the clutch non linear and really does not decrease pedal force by much.

10 hours ago, Red90 said:

Yes, unfortunately the "will fit any year" is bad info that is attached to the spring kits.

The other thing to watch with the new pedal boxes is that they do not have an adjustable "up" stop.  You are supposed to adjust the master rod to set the up height, which keeps it in constant tension.  IMO, it is a bad design and I add the up stop screw to my boxes.  Of course, I don't really like the feel of the overcenter spring.  It makes the clutch non linear and really does not decrease pedal force by much.

Interesting. Is this something I would need to consider for my TD5? Agree that the ‘feel’ isn’t the most natural one but I think it is a big improvement over the original or at least the one that was on mine. Presumably the heavy weight of the original was just down to the pedal return spring that was fitted? Wondering why someone didn’t just come up with a lighter replacement for that one...🤔

15 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

Technically that is wrong - it will only fit td5s and pumas that came without the spring fitted. Pre 300tdi used a different pedal box without the cutout for the springs.

I did wonder about that, will look before I leap on that one then unless any other forumers get there first to confirm/deny.

Well I shouldn't be surprised their info is wrong, but still it's annoying:

https://www.britpart.com/all-parts/da1266/

Replace the old clutch pedal spring kit to assit the pressing of the clutch pedal on Defender models. This is a factory fit on later models but can be retro fitted to all 90/110 models. Consists of spring, spring retainer & spring bushes