Overland caravan build

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Haven't seen an Avocado bathroom suite in a while!😁

It's colour matched to the outside of the trailer so it's less green and more blue. But you may have a point :hysterical: I'll tell the wife, she picked it. :ph34r:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It could but I'll seal it in. The shower base is on an angle to allow it to drain so I had to level where the toilet sits. To create a plinth I would need to cut into the mould which is harder than adding a plant. Also I want the toilet on a nice stable base so a recess means it will be hard down on the trailer floor leaving a small void under the rest of the tray to allow for the angle. If any water does get down there it will be visible when I change the cassette so it can be mopped out.

Mike

• Like 3

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Today I've trimmed and fitted the shower tray. I made some polywood spacers to sit under the angled part to support it and had to drill a hole in the floor for the drain to hang down through. A trial fit of the toilet revealed a gap that'll need filling between the main part of the toilet and the services box. I had a hunch this would be the case but to solve it would of ment a lot of extra work on the mould. It also required a minor alteration to the toilet water supply, this just needed cutting back and changing the vertical pipe to a longer one. The other thing I decided to change was the way the box to chassis bolt was fitted. I needed to either sit the tray on it, cut around it or remove the bolt, fit the tray and put the bolt down through the lot. This is what I elected to do as it means I can unbolt the box from the trailer if required in the future.

IMG_20240721_105600.thumb.jpg.a4ee0971eb62447eb9c3150e6a62404a.jpg

Mike

That is a very nice fit

1 hour ago, Wytze said:

That is a very nice fit

I was very pleased with the fit, it's always tricky to get a square box in a square hole, especially when it has to go in sideways. I did deliberately try to make the shape help get it in but you never know till you try. I have to admit it's so snug I struggled to get it back out after the test fit, I was starting to panic as it had to come out to fit the drain.

Mike

• Like 1

I was allowed back in the trailer after dad taxi dutys, so got on and clad the remaining bulkheads.

IMG_20240722_170222.thumb.jpg.387bd9840af075b4ede1d134fc1f3221.jpg

IMG_20240722_184359.thumb.jpg.8d3694c6488e8c4b4fb0aebd34afd878.jpg

It's really difficult to take a photo in a box that just under a metre square. :hysterical: Yes the wife is layed on on the bottom bunk, she was helping me honest. The cladding for the door aperture was so flimsy that even with two of us it was a real struggle not to break it.

Mike

• Like 2

That sounds like an epic plan for a rugged trailer! Having a galv trailer chassis and a fridge/freezer box from a delivery van is a brilliant idea – already insulated and ready to go. The layout with bunks for the kids and a king-size bed that converts into seating sounds perfect.

For the kitchen and toilet setup, an outdoor pull-out kitchen and a portable toilet/shower combo might save space and keep things practical. With your wife's interior design skills, I'm sure it'll turn out awesome.

• Thanks 1