Overland caravan build

Water system filled and pressurised, then de-pressurised and drain down a bit. :ph34r:

A speedfit tee had unseated it's o ring on fitting so was p***ing out once pressurised. Easy fix, just strip it and re-seat the o ring. However by the time I spotted it there was water everywhere. Fixed that and couldn't work out where the water was still coming from, turned out the threaded ring screwed to the top of the tank had a dodgy rubber seal. It wouldn't of been a problem to fix if the ring wasn't in a recess below the top of the tank. All fixed, I topped off the tank again :wacko: and re-pressurised. I left it like this all afternoon so that's sorted.

Also sorted the wiring for the water pump (just connected it to the battery to pressure up the system) and toilet.

IMG_20240724_140945.thumb.jpg.18e5dcdb1357c956c562022e1ccfa744.jpg

Hole cut for toilet cassette door and fitted, I painted it to match the rest of the trailer yesterday. I've glued some left over cladding around the aperture to seal the foam. This then allowed me to fit and test the toilet flush. Unfortunately the flush solenoid doesn't seem to open correctly it just lets a dribble through, so I need to investigate this.

IMG_20240724_202311.thumb.jpg.cee1c06aef7decf5d8e0cfc077bd7fc1.jpg

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Dodgy prostate on the toilet?

I'm hoping it's just some carp in the lines that's settled on the valves pre filter. If not it might be the pressure is to high for the solenoid.

Mike

🤞  I hope it’s the cheap and easy “just needs a clean” option, though the thought of what might be clogging your toilet is not somewhere I want to go…

• Haha 1

Gas springs added to the bed to make it a one person lift (how is a mattress and some bedding that heavy!).

IMG_20240802_205701.thumb.jpg.d8ebab18b820eeee846f0153c4917419.jpg

Lower brackets

IMG_20240802_205641.thumb.jpg.0f16be196c54b59063390fab92e0277e.jpg

Upper (bed frame) brackets plus an extra cross beam to spread the load across the frame.

At this point I fitted the gas struts I'd bought. Annd couldn't close it. :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

So had to get under it and hold it up while I removed said gas struts and propped it back up. A quick trip to the motor factors the next day found some shorter Mazda struts at 410N rather than the 1200N of the VW struts.:ph34r: Fitted these and because they were shorter and less powerful it didn't open far enough and whilst they did assist it wasn't quite enough. Qué an adjustment of the geometry, I moved the upper pivot back and up, the lower one forwards. This increased the lift height and reduced the leverage of the bed so increased the lift force.

IMG_20240803_111532.thumb.jpg.1b91091fa78dbb0dcb0c59f7e17366f8.jpg

Now it won't hold up on its own hence the prop but I can easily open it on my own.

Mike

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

That looks great, going to paint it to match the towing vehicle? 

The colour is staying we originally thought we'd picked a grey (not as dark as the ibex). It is listed as grey but as you can see it's closer to the prince of Wales bridge colour. However it blends surprisingly well with any back drop and it not a colour any other caravan/trailer is painted, plus we really like it hence the shower gel coat bought to match.:ph34r:

Mike

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Fantastic 👏🏻 

I missed your last few updates… getting those gas struts right sounds hard !

I agree with @FridgeFreezer about the $100k standard. Perhaps there is a sideline if you want a change from boats …? 

It looks amazing. 

The gas struts could do with being stronger but there's a risk of pulling the hinges out of the wall. To be honest just the bit of assistance helping to lift it is enough for me.

The trouble with doing it as a sideline/full-time you need a fully kitted workshop, which I have access to at work but wouldn't otherwise. Also It's probably barely viable if you add an hourly rate.

Mike

• Like 1