Smokescreen worthy of a Bond Car being pursued!

I have a 1989 Defender 90 fitted with a 200TDi. It has been garaged for quite a while, but out of the weather and no obvious deterioration.  At the last MoT it needed a new steering box which was acquired but never fitted. It must have been about 3 years since it was last started and with a fresh battery it started very easily, but the smoke, oh the volume of smoke!

I let it run for a while but it showed no signs of diminishing.

I've started it a few times since and with the same volume of smoke (as this is being started in a council garage in a built up area, there are limits to how long I dare leave it running!)

Any thoughts? It was an engine with no issues when it was stored.

Cheers

Peter

White/grey I would say is a mix of a little oil and largely unburnt diesel. As others have said, when you are able to take it for a drive and get it nice and warm. Once MOTed and Taxed, put fresh fuel in (I would be tempted to add Millers diesel treatment as you fill up) and change the oil + filters. It would also be wise to dump the coolant and give the radiator, block and heater a flush before filling with fresh antifreeze mix. I imagine that you will then see a difference.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions.

I'm in a rock and a hard place it appears! 

The car is in a council lock up and I should be able to change the steering box there. At the moment it has no tax and the MoT is at least 3 years out of date. So, I can't drive it on the road, but I need to drive it to clear this problem. I also need to drive it to test the brakes as I assume they will be rather stiff after a period of no use. 

The MoT tester is about 1/3 mile away, so not much driving to get there either (unless I take a mildly circuitous route.....)

I note the need for fresh fluids and I will do that when it is MOT'd and more mobile.

Cheers

Peter

If it hasn't moved in 3 years you might need to replace the brakes, the probability is that there will be significant rust on the discs at least. You might get away with a wire brush in a drill, depends on how close the discs are to the minimum thickness limit.

Why not try advancing it a bit to see if it helps? Check whether it's  timed Ok to start, and if it is you know you can get back to where it was. Or you could always mark a line on the pulley and hub. If it fixes the problem pro tem, well and good. If not you are no worse off.  You can always get back to where it is supposed to be then.

Re the brakes, you'll need to check whether they work  or not before going anywhere , but assuming it's been reasonably dry you might have got away with it. Light rust will clean off with a few applications, heavy won't and you'll  maybe need discs and pads. Drums will clean up with emery paper after removal. Try and pick an MOT place a few miles away, and 'use' the brakes and engine on the way.