Oil in my intake

I have myself a TD5 with 120k miles on the clock and i think i need to do something about the Turbo. There's a slight bit of play in the main bearing but the bigger concern is the amount of oil that exists on it, around it and in the inlet pipework. My intercooler has sagged from the amount of oil that's currently sitting in it and most of the intake pipes have a heavy internal coating of oil. I'm going to brave the costs of a reconditioned turbo, new pipework and an intercooler soon but is there anything else i should be looking at? Am i in imminent danger of a catastrophe??

You could end up ingesting the oil into the engine, which will do one of two things (or maybe more). 

A runaway condition where you can't stop the engine by turning the key off, as it is being fuelled by the oil. Unless you can stall it, this normally results in the engine destroying itself by over-revving. 

The engine ingests the oil in such a quantity that it hydrolocks the engine in a similar way to driving into water without a sealed, raised intake. This will bend rods and cause all sorts of other damage.

Either way I would certainly NOT be driving it at the moment.

A new cartridge is not that expensive: 

https://bearmach.com/turbo-cartridge-2-5-td5-pmf10046c

You may want to service other items such as the oil feed and return lines.

That is of course, it is the turbo, and the oil is not coming from anywhere else.

Hope that helps! 

Being 100% honest with myself (and you) the problem has been in existence for a couple of years now but adding up the cost of all the bits terrifies me. Turbo+intercooler+intake pipework will probably cost me nearly £500 and Mrs Paime will not like that.... Nevertheless, i think i'll have to bite the bullet and start with the cartridge then do the intercooler and pipes before finishing off with cleaning the intake manifold.

Should there be any oil in the intake pipework after the cartridge has been replaced?

There will be only a misting of oil in normal operation.

Unless the intercooler is damaged, there's no reason to replace it just because it has oil in it, just wash out with petrol/some other solvent and allow to dry *THOROUGHLY* and refit.

I reckon the intercooler is pretty much beyond economic repair but it's also the quantity of oil that has me worried. I'd rather replace the right bits and the right time than do it all, miss the underlying problem and then coat my new shiny bits in some more oil. Is there an oil drain on the TD5 turbos which goes back to the sump?

9 minutes ago, paime said:

I reckon the intercooler is pretty much beyond economic repair but it's also the quantity of oil that has me worried. I'd rather replace the right bits and the right time than do it all, miss the underlying problem and then coat my new shiny bits in some more oil. Is there an oil drain on the TD5 turbos which goes back to the sump?

the oil drain is out the bottom of the turbo & back into the sump

the intercooler in your picture is the normal outcome of wear & tear, the oily residue around the corner is due to the plastic end tanks starting to separate from the core,

8 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

the oil drain is out the bottom of the turbo & back into the sump

the intercooler in your picture is the normal outcome of wear & tear, the oily residue around the corner is due to the plastic end tanks starting to separate from the core,

That's made me feel a bit better about the whole thing, cheers. Looks like i've got not option but to replace a few things and get myself a new cartridge. Better practice my best puppy dog eyes for the missus now....

• 2 years later...

After 2 years I still haven't replaced my turbo but after recently replacing the intercooler i should probably try to reduce the amount of oil going through it. Can I just replace the cartridge only? Will that cure the oil leaks and wobbly bearings?

Paime, all you need is a large capacity set of circlip piers. You don't need any other special tools. I have the necessary pliers, and I removed my rotating assembly and cleaned the exhaust side very carefully with an old toothbrush and a mixture of acetone and xylene, both of which, fortunately, are readily available over here.  The intake air side didn't really need any cleaning.  I measured my radial axial play with a DRO instrument and decided that it was still within acceptable limits, and just reassembled it.  Of course, I still haven't finished my rebuild, so I don't know if my cleaning was effective, efficient, or damaging!  I'll post when I get my hobby back on the road.

Mike

I've seen a few YouTube videos but none of them show any circlips. It's a complete cartridge replacement I was considering. Is there a way to just replace the seals and bearings or would I then need to get it balanced?

There’s a thread on here somewhere from when I changed the cartridge in a 200Tdi turbo, must be three years ago now.

Sadly it still sat in my utility room waiting to be swapped for the turbo on the car, but it’ll get tested out eventually!

Most of the oil in my intake is from the crankcase breather I reckon, rather than the turbo. 

• Haha 1

I've just had a turbo (VNT) re-balanced at a local company, as I went to them asking about the oil seals. The turbo place said that the seals are dynamic, a bit like piston rings in that they need pressure so that they seal correctly.

I had already cleaned the vanes assembly so that the waste gate system was moving freely but they needed to clean the cartridge to a high standard before they put it on an air flow rig and measured the balance. After 262K miles it was out by a considerable amount (they provided before and after graphs) and shaved a little metal off somewhere to get it back to spec.

With it balanced they said it would run better in the bearings and that in turn would improve the oil sealing.