Wolf HD rims - confused

My lightweight project has hit an expected hurdle, the series rims don't fit over the Zeus calipers - by a large amount.

This isn't a surprise, they are quite clear about this in the advertising.  I was hoping it would only be few mm, but its not, no way will the LWB series rim fit over the caliper.

So, I need a set of wolf rims, or more accurately 6.5 J profile rims.

But the range is huge!

Genuine are about £113 for tube type and £70 for tubeless.   I'd rather not pay the extra for the tube type if I can avoid it.

I'm planning on fitting Avon rangemasters with airstop tubes, can I fit to tubeless?

Aftermarket can be as low as £50, but are britpart, and so are probably square and made from coke cans. Or am I doing them a disservice?

Help?

I was thinking about asking the same question, but for the Defender Sawtooth rims, sorry to hijack the topic 😃 I'm looking for Defender Sawtooth rims, can order them at Britpart, but afraid about the quality ..

I needed a new front bumper for my Defender and looking at the range.. Britpart bumper was the cheapest and ordered it. Last week it arrived, looked good, installed the thing and .. the black paint chopped off just by looking at it 🤨 It's certainly not poadercoated, just painted and it shows .. Dropped a screw on it from about 10cm height and yes, a big spot of paint just flew away.. I think that after a pressure wash .. all paint will be gone.

So if that's the case with their rims .. I won't be buying those 🙄 So same question .. Who has experience with Britpart rims?

Edited by Koen110

I was running a set of "Wolf HD wheels" (tubeless) on my Disco for the last 7 or 8 years, without realising they were Britpart.  To be honest, they're absolutely fine!

They happen to be spare now, sat in the garage awaiting a proper strip down and repaint.

My only concern with them initially was they are thicker than standard wheels, so the wheel nuts only just grip far enough.

It's a lot. I'd have to move the centre in about 1/2 an inch to an inch.

New rims is the better option, I think. Wolf rims in matt green would look okay, I think.

IMG_20190113_165431.jpg

IMG_20190113_165435.jpg

Sounds like a similar problem to what I have with the disc conversion on the 109 - stock Defender rims won't work at all but Wolfs, Disco steels, RR alloys will, and modulars juuuust about.

Do you really need tubes?

At £70 a wheel genuine I wouldn't feel like it was worth going cheaper for non-gen of unknown quality.

The tyres require tubes. 

I've sourced some s/h non-gen. It will do until I get the vehicle finished at least. 

To buy genuine and new tyres could be up to a grand, which isn't happening just now; springs and custom shafts aren't cheap!

I think both versions of the Wolf wheels will have the nave welded tot he rim, so will both be air tight.  I suspect the only difference will be near the tyre seat, the tubeless rims having a raised "lump" to keep the tyre seated against the bead at low pressure, while the tubed rims will have flat seats and rely on the tube to keep the tyre against the bead.  I can't see any reason that tubes would be a problem in the tubeless wheel.  With tyres, though, it can be an issue - tubeless tyres often have rough innards that wear or puncture tubes.

I think you are right. Good tubes should be fine. 

So long as the valve hole is the same size, or smaller.

I'll pick up a set on Saturday, get a spare, then get them zinc sprayed and coated. 

Thanks.

Thanks to Spendrey, I've a set of four Britpart rims. 

They're sturdy!  I'll put them on a hub tomorrow, and see if they spin true.

The wheel well is a lot more outboard than the standard rim, as is the outer edge.

I'll try take some photos tomorrow, comparing the late series/early 110 rims with the wolf.

The tubeless rims differ only in that there is a slight lip to catch the tyre edge. I think this will cause no problem with the tube type tyre, as the tyre edge will fully fill the gap so there is no risk to the tube.

The lip would be less than the protrusion that the rivets on the old rims.

The other difference is the valve peg hole. 

It's TR13, smaller than the TR15.

And I can't find Michelin air stops in this size to fit on-line.

So, the plan is to get these rims hot zinc sprayed and powder coated, then swap the tyres over.

Satin NATO green.

Photo of the difference.

The well in the rim is completely different. Those rims were aligned on the same mounting plane, so is a true comparison.

IMG_20190120_102257.jpg

You can run rangemasters on a tubeless rim and they will also work tubeless (ignoring legalities) I have done both. Quite why you want to I don't know they are hateful tyres, like a SAT but without the offload abilites.

It is, but I've bought 5 tubeless rims, so they are what's going on to the project. And I can get the right tubes from Michelin, so all is good. 

Or good enough.

Thanks.

G.