1962 Ingersoll Rand Air compressor

Just collected something older then my Series 3. A 1962 Ingersoll Rand 2 stage air compressor. 

Seller said it was heavy.. That was an understatement. Two fit lads on one end barley lifted it a couple inches off the ground. Had to get creative getting it into the van and out, I think I know how the pyramid builders felt.

Does anyone have any idea what the external pipe running from the crank to the 2nd piston is for? I thought forced oil lubrication system, but that would make little sense since feeding to output line to tank? There's another line going from the air filter housing to the rear bearing housing.

Also the electric motor seems to have oil lubricated bearings. There a spring loaded fill hole in both casing and a weep hole lower down. Not seen that before.

Anyway, its working well after a bit of tinkering, its amazingly quiet and keeps up with my die grinder at 90psi. Seems like a bargain for £50.

IMG_20190711_100154.jpg

IMG_20190711_103615.jpg

IMG_20190712_094909.jpg

Nice bit of kit that, and certainly a bargain at £50.

i have an old upright version of that, and it has served me well for quite some time.

9 hours ago, youngengineer said:

Does anyone have any idea what the external pipe running from the crank to the 2nd piston is for?

As in the pipe just above the data plate?

That is a pipe to relieve pressure from above the piston.

The compressor is equipped with a starting unloader which relieves cylinder pressure when the compressor stops, permitting it to start

against a light load.

This increases the life of the drive motor and belts and also reduces the possibility of tripping the motor overload relay.The unloader incorporates a pilot valve which is actuated centrifugally by unloader weights attached to the end of the crankshaft

IngersolRandPilotValve.jpg

Edited by MR-HIPPO
Added illustration.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, youngengineer said:

Does anyone have any idea what the external pipe running from the crank to the 2nd piston is for? I thought forced oil lubrication system, but that would make little sense since feeding to output line to tank? There's another line going from the air filter housing to the rear bearing housing.

I think it's called an unloader. It basically vents the line from the second piston to the tank, (which will have a non-return valve) and that allows it to start up without internal pressure.

MR HIPPO beat me to it.

Edited by JohnnoK
update

Good heavens! £50 being a bargain for that is the understatement of the year.

Apart from being single phase, that looks like industrial grade equipment. That should serve you well for many years.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

17 hours ago, MR-HIPPO said:

Nice bit of kit that, and certainly a bargain at £50.

i have an old upright version of that, and it has served me well for quite some time.

As in the pipe just above the data plate?

That is a pipe to relieve pressure from above the piston.

The compressor is equipped with a starting unloader which relieves cylinder pressure when the compressor stops, permitting it to start

against a light load.

This increases the life of the drive motor and belts and also reduces the possibility of tripping the motor overload relay.The unloader incorporates a pilot valve which is actuated centrifugally by unloader weights attached to the end of the crankshaft

IngersolRandPilotValve.jpg

That would make perfect sense. I remember years ago when I had a big single cylinder dirt bike it was equipped a de-comp lever which served a similar purpose. 

3 hours ago, mickeyw said:

Good heavens! £50 being a bargain for that is the understatement of the year.

Apart from being single phase, that looks like industrial grade equipment. That should serve you well for many years.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Yes I certainly cannot believe it. I spent something like £150 a few years ago on a little oil free 25L compressor. The finish and quality between the two are totally incomparable. It seems it would be completely cost prohibitive to manufacture anything today to such a standard. It's built like a tank, even the water trap is ridiculously heavy and thick.

Was steel back in the 60's pennys to the ton?

The seller told me his grandfather bought it new in the 60s. It's been in the family three generations. The only reason he sold it was that it would not keep up with a sand blaster. Crazy I know. I guess he just wanted the space. 

Edited by youngengineer

On 7/14/2019 at 6:07 PM, cackshifter said:

Very nice piece of kit. I like the way they have piped the oil drain out beyond the baseplate so it doesn't make a mess when oil changing. I'd change the oil at some point btw; use something decent for compressors (IR do their own) 

Very first task was changing the oil. What came out looked thick and milky. Definitely not compressor specific oil. Felt like 20w50. 

On 7/15/2019 at 9:28 PM, landroversforever said:

Nice buy! Old stuff is usually great!

My only concern with the age though would be water/rust in the tank. Has it got a decent sized bung in one end that you can pop out and have a look inside?

Yes indeed. I may pop one and have a look, maybe throw a magnet in there see what comes out. It's very thick steel compared to modern compressors however. I think the plate said 3/16th on the wall thickness but I would have to check again.

To test them they usually have a look with a torch then put a bit of white paper through the hole and give the thing a tap with a hammer to see how much rust falls onto the paper. If the paper gets ripped out of their hands it's usually a fail. 

11 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

To test them they usually have a look with a torch then put a bit of white paper through the hole and give the thing a tap with a hammer to see how much rust falls onto the paper. If the paper gets ripped out of their hands it's usually a fail. 

Sounds like a very scientific test.. 🤣

• 9 months later...

I have had a 1960 Ingersoll-rand compressor for years now and it had a silly little motor/pump combo someone fitted.  Finally I'm renovating and updating it with a new twin cylinder 3hp pump and motor.  I wonder if anyone knows where I can get the graphics from for this.  the 'Ingersoll-rand made in england' graphic is what I want, it's worn a lot and I'm about to repaint it, so would be nice to replace.  Any ideas?