tool chests

qwakers

my tools chest was £50 from halfords on a offer, 11 years ago. it was ok for 8 or so years, but the runners on the draws have been falling to bits for years and all the draws are flopping about.

also to add, the draws down pull out all the way so if you put ‘spanner ladders’ in, you cant put them al, the way to the back. 
another gripe is the draws in the top cabinet arent deep enough so my spanners hit the next draw up.

so, on to the question.

what tool chests do you have? im particularly after draws that pull out all the way 

I have senator at work which is from Cromwell, used every day and getting on for 20 years old. At home I have the red halfords ones and there is a noticeable difference in quality. https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/storage-and-handling/roller-cabinets-and-tool-chests/7-drawer-roller-cabinet/p/SEN5940580K

I did get this offer emailed the other day, no idea what they're like.

https://www.tooled-up.com/brand/kincrome/kincrome/roller-cabinets-tool-chests/594/

I bought a hoist from these people and was pleased with the quality for the price

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/tool-chests-cabinets

Draws in the senator. Hou can get different shapes obviously. 

20190802_131751.jpg

20190802_131803.jpg

20190802_131814.jpg

Edited by Cynic-al
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Maverik said:

The Halfords "Advanced" black chests, I've had mine for probably close to 8yrs and they're still going strong.

I'd echo that. Apart from the new type ones aren't rated as high per draw and don't seem as well made sadly :(

I don't know what the price is like, but a friend at work has a nice Bahco box which is lovely (if you can stand the  retina-burning paint job).

16 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I'd echo that. Apart from the new type ones aren't rated as high per draw and don't seem as well made sadly :(

I don't know what the price is like, but a friend at work has a nice Bahco box which is lovely (if you can stand the  retina-burning paint job).

The ones you have Ross are the discontinued Halfords Industrial range, which are far more substantial than their new Advanced range or even the old Advanced range. The drawer runners on the new range feel distinctly flimsy.

I've looked (online only) at the SGS Engineering stuff, and while it looks good I've not heard any comparison with the Halfords boxes.

I love my Industrial boxes. I can't see me wearing them out.

5 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

The ones you have Ross are the discontinued Halfords Industrial range, which are far more substantial than their new Advanced range or even the old Advanced range. The drawer runners on the new range feel distinctly flimsy.

I've looked (online only) at the SGS Engineering stuff, and while it looks good I've not heard any comparison with the Halfords boxes.

I love my Industrial boxes. I can't see me wearing them out.

Yeah! Hence my panic buying of the extra 4 boxes! :D 

I have a number of King Chrome ones and they they are around 10 yrs old, more than half of that commercial use and one of my draws (the odds n sods draw) is jammed full... that full I often have to force and riggle the tools down into it to close, at a guess I'd say 20kg of tools and dies and its been dealing with this for most of its life it does feel a bit loose but it still hasn't let go 

That said I'm looking at some cheap tool boxes from Total Tools, Chinese made house brand.... but they have a good thick construction ( I can't even get the materials and slides for the same price lol)  my plan is to form tool organizers so the draws shouldn't be overloaded and I'll build a new larger peg board for all the common used stuff    

A little tip.... if you decide to go the same way as me, go have a look at them and measure up the gap for the draw slides and make certain it can take a good quality replacement, I've found some of the cheap stuff has these  narrow slides that don't look like they would last and I can't seem to find replacements on the net 

For those on a budget aldi have these on special at the moment.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-black-tool-chest/p/016345297749100?gclid=CjwKCAjwtO7qBRBQEiwAl5WC270HXn1NWJA_YDit7vYIlCIVvFyIumOSNOOGiDObXOGRvyCpNWBvXhoCh1EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Features
  • 3 drawers
  • Aluminium drawer trims
  • Ball bearing slides
  • Side handles
  • 2 lid stays
  • Keyed lock
Guarantee/Warranty
3 Years

I have not purchased one myself but would like comments from others who have.