Rough horse power of TDI 200 with tuning

Gazzar

For insurance purposes I'd like to have a hp figure to give the insurance company.

It's a TDI 200 with a turner performance head and will have a diesel Bob performance tune (once I sort the knock).

Defender manifolds. Steve Parker exhaust and a Skoda Fabio rs intercooler.

I know it's a stupid question and a rolling road is the best way of getting an answer, but.....

Any ideas?

It's in a series LWB

Thank you all, I've told the insurance company it's 100hp.  That should be a reasonable honest declaration.

I've also asked for a quote for my 18yo son as a named driver.  That's going to be interesting.  

My 200 Disco has a Hamlin's stage 2 head, with matched inlet and outlet ports. the inter-cooler inlet and outlet and inlet manifold have been ported 

The engine has now done 110,000, with 20 odd k since the top end rebuild.

The pump has been tweaked to match the work, but no ring or pin upgrades.

It's rolling road figures are 131bhp@4250rpm and 242 ft/lb@1800rpm

I'm particularly happy with this and the 35mpg I get at 65-70mph on the motorway, 33mpg around town. Towing sees very little drop, to about 32mpg.

I run Shell Rimula 15/40 Non Synthetic, with 5-6k changes. The right oil makes huge differences in a 200

I reckon I can get it better

my old RRC produced higher figures after a trip to Alisport.

But that means bigger intercooler and the one I want is not easy to find - I 'm after the '300tdi auto aircon' version that alisport made.  I'm also looking at a manually adjustable boost valve to experiment a bit

However there's no rush, what I have works well and has so far proved very reliable

Worth noting, those figures are on BP Ultimate. They are slightly lower on BP Standard, slightly lower again on Morrison's and best on Rape Seed Oil

I normally use standard BP, but I'm interested to hear the ultimate is better.

But to be honest, I'm only interested in a slight increase. The IC is as big as I can fit in front of a series radiator,  it's from a RS Skoda, and, anyway, too much torque would probably kill my series LT76 gearbox!

So long as it keeps spinning at 60 up hill with the high ratio transfer box, I'll be happy.

That is, of course, if the knock isn't fatal. . . 

I need a week off.

I can't remember where the intercooler on my 110 came from, but the color is wider than the 19J rad sat behind it, it's very thin so no real change in the lag from the turbo and I had to cut the inside of the wings out to get the inlet and outlet to fit. Best £30 you could ever want to spend.

I'm not too keen on a mahoosive intercooler, as I do't want to waste boost pressure. Daan did some very interesting research on his old brown barge, that changed my whole attitude to improving the output on a 200/300

I'm actually very happy with the way the Lovemachine drives. Very little black smoke/wasted fuel, pulls beautifully, revs well, great economy....

Edited by Nonimouse
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, Gazzar said:

I normally use standard BP, but I'm interested to hear the ultimate is better.

But to be honest, I'm only interested in a slight increase. The IC is as big as I can fit in front of a series radiator,  it's from a RS Skoda, and, anyway, too much torque would probably kill my series LT76 gearbox!

So long as it keeps spinning at 60 up hill with the high ratio transfer box, I'll be happy.

That is, of course, if the knock isn't fatal. . . 

I need a week off.

I use Ultimate too in my 200Tdi, sometimes with a squirt of Miller Diesel EcoMax and its made a really significant difference, smoother running, pulls better and cleaner. I put a full tank of Ultimate in our Golf Estate for a long run to south of England to see what happened and it got better mpg than it did when we used Tesco discount diesel. 

• Like 1