I it a thing?

Simon_CSK

While out and about I have been waved at by other Discovery 2 drivers. I have now started to do this back but is this just local or is it everywhere? Most of the cars doing it seen to be a little more tricked up than standard landies.

In the five years since selling the 110 and buying the Disco, I've noticed in the last year or so that I get a wave from other Discovery drivers, even D3 and D4.

I hadn't realised until I attended Simply Land Rover earlier this year, just how uncommon it is to see a 200Tdi Disco, especially one that hasn't been heavily modified, so I've sort of taken it that it's a bit like driving an early series and being waved at by Defender owners

But on that, Defender drivers rarely wave. 90/110 drivers do; Series drivers are pretty good

I knew series and defender drivers did/do it but in the years I have been driving Range Rovers and Discoveries it is only, I would say, in the last 12 months that it has happened to me. Maybe I have only just noticed it however I am an LR freak and there is no way I could have missed it.

Am always happy to wave back but now nice to have that cozy Land Rover cameraderie. 

11 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

But on that, Defender drivers rarely wave. 90/110 drivers do; Series drivers are pretty good

I beg to differ. 😁 I drive a 110 Defender and there are plenty of waves in both directions. I’ve even seen waves from the other side of a motorway, admittedly mainly when abroad.

Waving is between Series, 90/110 and Defenders. The only non wavers tend to be working vehicles; there are plenty of those in my area. 

Long may it continue. 

17 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

I beg to differ. 😁 I drive a 110 Defender and there are plenty of waves in both directions. I’ve even seen waves from the other side of a motorway, admittedly mainly when abroad.

Waving is between Series, 90/110 and Defenders. The only non wavers tend to be working vehicles; there are plenty of those in my area. 

Long may it continue. 

I waved recently to a 90 driver with a 90 on a trailer. The assumtion being that he was an enthusiast and would wave back but no responce. With the Disco 2's there is certainly a shift towards waving.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:01 PM, Peaklander said:

Long may it continue. 

When I'm driving around Somerset not that many land rover drivers wave as they tend to be contractors or farm vehicles. When I'm visiting family and friends in either Southampton or Newbury, almost all Land Rover drivers (older discoveries included) give me a wave in my 110.

It used to be limited to Series and modified Defenders, filtered across to RRC and D1, and now is growing in Discovery 2 circles.  I think it’s a sign the model has passed out of the lifestyle 4x4 market of people trying to impress neighbours and into the hands of enthusiasts.  The model has matured...

On 9/23/2019 at 10:32 AM, Snagger said:

It used to be limited to Series and modified Defenders, filtered across to RRC and D1, and now is growing in Discovery 2 circles.  I think it’s a sign the model has passed out of the lifestyle 4x4 market of people trying to impress neighbours and into the hands of enthusiasts.  The model has matured...

Mine is a daily driver. And very necessary as I do double the national average annually.

There are still plenty on the road. Some wave some don't but I am happy top give one when I see.