Heater motor ideas needed

Wanting to fit a heater to my 88 coiler. Running a 200 Tdi.

I've got hold of a 90/Defender style heater core/box, but what I haven't got is any sort of fan/motor or cowling. My original thought was to just use a standard Series motor assembly, they aren't the best, but adequate for a pickup. And obviously come with the ease of installation.

But the motor assembly and snail cowl seem difficult to find. I couldn't find any repro one. And original ones seemed to be silly money for what they are. I did acquire a couple of used ones, but they were too far rusted to be of any use.

So I'm looking for ideas and suggestions.

The only squirrel cage fan I can find is this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squirrel-Cage-Heater-Fan-For-Kit-Car-Track-Rally-Classic/281884834018?hash=item41a1a538e2:g:STEAAOSwYIhWlhxt

But it looks like it might less powerful than the stock Series one. Something with a round outlet would also make plumbing it in easier. Anyone know of any donar vehicles that might have something I find used or other options?

Beware of after market ones, they're often more asthmatic than 50 year old green oval stuff. I have one that looks just like that ebay link you've posted.... It's absolute garbage, I can breathe harder. 

I've hunted high and low myself for the same thing and come up short. I ended up re-orienting the defender fan on my series fitment, which works fairly well. Complete heater/fan assembly's are easy enough to get hold of, so that may be an option? 

15 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Beware of after market ones, they're often more asthmatic than 50 year old green oval stuff. I have one that looks just like that ebay link you've posted.... It's absolute garbage, I can breathe harder. 

That was my concern, have been putting this off since last winter. Must get on and finish it though.

One thing I've learned through much messing with low volt DC motors: size does matter. Ignore the marketing garbage, if it draws < 15 amps at 12v (180W), it's not going to do very much of anything. If wattage or amperage aren't quoted, have a good look at motor size. The little chinesium pancake things that end up in just about everything are a total waste of metal. 

The suzuki fans looks very promising. Constructing a snail housing might be the challenge there. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've fitted a bilge blower in line with a standard defender heater box.  I've retained the resistor pack as well and have a pretty good two speeds.  I remover the original fan and made my own duct up which the fan slips into.  Will get you a photo later.

• Like 1

So I never found a suitable motor that I wanted to spend the money on to use the Series heater box/matrix.

I eventually got a 90 heater box assembly for free. A little rusty, have patched it up this weekend and fitted it. Bit more snug in a Series, had to remove some of the old throttle linkage brackets (think that is what they were). And the mud shield needed a little "massaging" to fit back in place around the fan motor. Still need to plumb it in and and wire it. Also hook up some cables for the flaps on the box. But I feel better that it is now attached to the vehicle!

Not sure if I'll cut a hole in the wing top and fit a Defender air intake, or just pipe it from somewhere else yet. No hurry now that summer is pretty much upon us though.

2v7GVN8l.jpg

rjmpo9rl.jpg