Sensibly priced all terrain tyres for Def90?

I bought a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 265/70R16 for a little over €400 delivered a few years ago. They do a very good job on road (much, much better than the in my eyes horrendously hard BFG AT), and not too bad off-road, although I've not really used them in anger yet.

If you’re only replacing two tyres then I’d keep them the same size. If you want to change the size then best to swap all four.

235/85R16 will fit on a 5.5” wide rim, but it’s probably better on a 6.5” or 7” rim. If I recall correctly BFGoodrich state that 6.5” is the minimum width for a 235/85R16 all-terrain.

If you're changing sizes you've got to do all 4 or you'll break something.

235/85R16 or 255/whatever are incredibly common (just search back through the 1,000 previous "which tyres" threads on here!), if you've got the skinny SWB rims you *might* need to upgrade but wheel & tyre packages mail-order are an easy win.

Only other gotcha is steel rims and alloy rims need different nuts.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:17 AM, orangebadger said:

Sorry to be dim, but can I only replace them with 205r16's or can I (or should I) use wider (?) tyres? Haven't really got my head around the tyre technicalities.

I just noted the size I got because that's relevant to the price. You get the size you want/need :)

On 12/29/2019 at 12:08 PM, western said:

Rims marked in what way? 

LR made wheels have a part number & wheel sizes stamped or cast into the material. 

For standard 5.5 inch wide steel wheels 235/85 tyres are about as wide as you can fir, any tyre wider needs wider rims. 

I bought the current wheels/tyres as a set second hand on ebay. I don't know what size the wheels are to know what tyres I can put on them!

Also am now short of a spare - what term do I need to search to find a cheap tyre as a spare that will fit the standard steel rim I need to fit it to? It needs to be tubed doesn't it?