2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

36 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Batteries are rubbish. If this is solved (hold more, fill faster, last longer, weigh less (X10)) then they are better than petrol

What you are describing here is a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, one I am certain will be a large part of the fleet going forward.

4 minutes to fill and 400 mile range easily achievable, just need the infrastructure.

• Like 1

You'll not be needing it quite yet, but be aware I have a 3D ignition map. From Roland I filched it to set-up the liquid curve for 123Ignition. Roland used to offer a Megajolt type 3D set-up,  he was able to supply.  It'll save you a heap of rolling-road time. Sadly he doesn't have anything for gas, so it's not much use to me. Glad to let you have it. Every man and his dog does the V8. Unlike the V8, there won't be a heap of prior maps for the taking. Sorry, can't help you with the injection side.

123ignition has an inbuilt rolling-road stopwatch function. You can load two curves to test, and flip curve-to-curve; hot-test as your drive. I'm pretty sure I have it spot-on. Or as spot-on as a 2D dizzy will allow anyway, it'll never be Megajolt, and that's next.

Edited by Landrover17H

53 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

Here you are... less value to you, I've added vacuum calculations in green. For the 2.25, your extra 250cc might need 1-2 degrees of advance (or not) , but your map would be parallel to this.

Rolands-Map-Calc100.gif

Thanks! 

I only vaguely know what this means, but I expect I'll be quite knowledgeable by the time this is built.

Cool, looking forward to this.

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

I only vaguely know what this means, but I expect I'll be quite knowledgeable by the time this is built.

Load on the left, RPM along the bottom. You'll need to jigger the numbers into MS as it uses MAP (Vacuum) vs RPM for its map but this is certainly a very useful starting point.

56 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

LOAD can be interpreted as vacuum or throttle position, either way your map will finish very similar. From what we see so far, can't see you struggling.

Vacuum, throttle position, and engine load are related but not the same, you couldn't paste that map into MS without some fiddling.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:32 AM, Gazzar said:

EVs are:

Simpler. No gearbox, only a transfer box.

EVs have a gearbox.  It is just single speed. You need around 3:1 more than the diffs for road use. 2 or 3 times more for off road use.

Edited by Red90

26 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Yep, a one tonne transfer box!

That does not help.  You need 10:1 total gearing on road and 30:1 off road.  This means you need a single speed 3:1 gearbox somewhere in addition to the transfer case and differential gearing.

Doesn't it depend on how the electric motor is wound? And a motor developed for automotive use would have a reducing gear built in, similar to the earlier Tesla motor units.

11 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Doesn't it depend on how the electric motor is wound? And a motor developed for automotive use would have a reducing gear built in, similar to the earlier Tesla motor units.

Yes, but automotive motors are designed for more or less the same speed range. Designing for highest possible speeds reduces the amperage demands and the sizing of the motor and its wiring. In a car, you design for the smallest motor size.

If it has gearing built in, it is not a motor.  It is a gearmotor (motor and gearbox unit). None that I've seen for a retrofit into a car are combination units.

M6 stud, in a helicoil.

The hole on the flange is 6.5mm.  Ish.

The helicoil is probably less than 10mm, so there's little point in being much thicker than that, I'd have thought.