Strange intermittent starting issue

Evening, so over the weekend I came across an issue with the Landy starting...

Upon going to start it up by turning the key to ignition, there’s a “click” from what seems the fuse box area and behind. Went a further turn on key for glow plugs...... then went one more to start, (after a delay) and all went dead..... no lights on dash. No starter motor turning..... is there a relay in the wiring area behind the fuses just in front of the gear stick? 

After a few attempts it fired up as usual.... earths to starter? 

Fyi you can't see signatures on the mobile app. 

As regards your problem, that sounds like bad earth to your battery (main negative to battery).

I'd be checking the battery terminal clamp then I'd be looking at the other end wherever its attached too.

Could also be the +VE lead too of course.

That's where I'd be starting to look.

Mav

Thanks Mav, I didn’t realise about the mobile app.

its a 110 1987 2.5na diesel. 

The battery clamp is ok but not sure of the other end. I’ll get onto it at the weekend. No harm in cleaning them all. 

Hopefully that’s the problem, all other thoughts welcome. Still wondering what the clicking is though. 🤔

As regards your clicking, as what Ralph says but easiest thing to do is to pop the cover off and have a listen and rest your finger on any relays too that will tell you if its that or not.

You probably find it always does it, but you only noticed it when you had the ignition dip out.

• Like 1

Thanks Ralph will look later. 
aye Mav they don’t have too many which is good. I’ve seen somewhere else it might be connection problems with the relays so a good clean all round at the weekend hopefully do the trick. 

• Like 1

The thick red wire positive feed from the battery goes to the starter motor solenoid with the other brown wires running from there for the other circuits. If this connection is dirty/loose then you could get intermittent electrical problems. 

• Like 1

I had a similair problem with a 200tdi, it turned out to be the earth from the battery which goes to the gearbox and then the chassis. The lug on the gearbox looked ok but on closer inspection i found the lug was loose on the cable causing a bad earth to the engine / gearbox

• Like 2

Thanks boys, would a dodgy ignition barrel be to blame possibly? Just a thought.... but all things seem to be pointing at the earths/terminals being in need of some TLC. 

2 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Thanks boys, would a dodgy ignition barrel be to blame possibly? Just a thought.... but all things seem to be pointing at the earths/terminals being in need of some TLC. 

It's a Land Rover, anything is possible! I would start at the battery and work forwards from there towards the ignition switch. 

• Like 1

Managed a wee bit of time on it, the picture with three relays in it is the one that’s clicking so I’m assuming that’s ok? No idea what the 12v black one is? The relay with yellow wires going into it is the one that clicks. I’ll order new anyway as they look tired. 
time to check the earth strap 

DDC3AC63-7294-4AF0-BDEB-BC2D5C9980F4.jpeg

AB272E17-3C22-4BF3-9127-A722D8BD04CD.jpeg

Mines doing this DC. Its a poor connection on the wire to the solenoid on the starter. Wiggle that and it will start. I need to clean it but I just cant get my hands in there until I remove the downpipe on the 200tdi. I scalded myself on the exhaust manifold when it did it in tesco a few weeks ago but it started after I had pushed and pulled that connection slightly!

• Like 1

Thanks Reb78, I’ll be getting in there this weekend hopefully. Got a camping weekend coming up soon so don’t to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with this. I was going to take starter motor out and give it a good talking to!! 😂👍 

So update....

Still no relay delivery so they are still to be switched to new. All the contacts on live and solenoid wires cleaned. Actually didn’t seem too bad. But they all got a good clean. Seems a bit better but it still takes a second for the starter to kick in 🤔 once it does all is fine. 

Also managed a log run into the woods 🔥🙌

132250B9-9903-4970-B528-E03ED2EFBC92.jpeg

4E20C3DF-46EC-4CFA-A51F-1B56140C5114.jpeg