Pre bent tube

Badger110

I want to extend my bull bar from the front, along the wing and down to the rock slider. A bit like this

D84D7E57-9633-4BB5-9F98-22C71BDEE0DB.jpeg.1bc55a836040819607f1e3f6295d6258.jpeg

i don’t have access to a tube bender, and a search online has come up with no results unless I submit a specific drawing which I wouldn’t know where to start, but also I’m not 100% sure how I’ll do it until I have the stuff in my hand.

what I would like is this; to buy some generic radius bends, maybe a few 30 degrees and a couple of 90’s and some tube, then wing it from there once I have it in my hand.  I’m getting more confident with welding and this could be a good sideline.  My local fabrication shop is closed at the moment.

Does anyone know if you can buy 40mm steel tube already bent to some standard angles, or does anyone have a machine to bend it for a cost?

much appreciated 

There is a cheaper way , get a length of tube , then where you want the bend to be cut a series of angled slots ( like slices of pie ) in it pointing to the point of the bend ,  do that till you get the angle you want , weld it up and fettle it smooth jobs a gud un .

Any tips for welding the pipe together?

spot weld the separate parts in the correct position then slow welds, ie not doing the full circumference in one go, move from one joint to another to let the previous one cool before going back. 

I've not welded 2 flat pieces together yet, let alone 2 bits of pipe :unsure:

I’ll get some practice in tomorrow on some thin steel box section

38 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Make sure you grind a nice champher on your pipe fittings so when you butt them together there is a nice V to fill with weld also joint will remain strong once you've blended the joints with a flap disc regards Stephen

Thank you, good point 👍

I made a frame for the rear door to house the sliding kitchen unit, and whilst I was at it I had a go with 2 pieces of 3mm steel welding together.

Prepped by putting a chamfered edge like Stephen said and did it in short runs rather than one big one.

B79C1A0A-2A38-4FE0-9868-E430A107B91F.jpeg.8c111e05b8e6985ee508ff4ad7d38583.jpeg9FDDC93E-9BAB-45BC-A55D-910149DCE504.jpeg.3df336445a2239520a3345d21901dc47.jpeg

cross section shows I got the penetration 👍 

381FDBC9-C4F5-48F5-963D-C8C6784AF18C.jpeg.293753a3aa678566e7c54d46d03cd604.jpeg

now to order the tube :D

12 hours ago, landroversforever said:

You're quite a way from them but Blackbird Industries (our very own @discomikey) would be able to bend from a sketch.

If it was a roll cage or something quite important or beyond my scope i'd consider it, but i like a challenge on simple project to whet my appetite :D

11 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Second the suggestion of clamping in piece of angle iron.

Also I've seen people sleeve tubes with a smaller piece or even just an offcut of flat bent into a circle to form a bridge across the join.

I was considering using flat bar ( as i have a few bits ) cut down to the ID and wedged in to help line the 2 pieces together.

Saying that a scrounge around the workshop is bound to find some tube that might be persuaded to fit

What you can do is slot along the tube with a grinder and squish it smaller, so it springs out inside the tube you're welding. It's mostly just to keep alignment but it can also help bridge the gap with weld, if you chamfer both ends down you still have the inner tube to hit with the welder rather than a gap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

What you can do is slot along the tube with a grinder and squish it smaller, so it springs out inside the tube you're welding. It's mostly just to keep alignment but it can also help bridge the gap with weld, if you chamfer both ends down you still have the inner tube to hit with the welder rather than a gap.

Second the above regards Stephen 

• Like 1