4ft or 5ft

Am new to the scene and need a jack for offroad use, hi lift seem to be the way to go but 4ft or 5ft?

have a winch so just for lifting really.

preferences please?

ps any stockists in wiltshire,hampshire or dorset as i travel about a bit and dont want postage costs.

cheers

Speak to Nick Jennings Landrox4x4 who had some on special offer.

Phone: +44 (0) 1869 354073

Mob: +44 (0) 7970 844785

£30 ! New

Tell him Nigel Barker - HBRO pointed you to him, he's based your area

HTH

NIge

Agreed - I'd say 4ft.

IIRC the extra foot has a reduced lift rating (?) and anyway if you ever need that extra foot of lift then when you get up there you'd better make sure you are wearing heavy duty underpants... Two tons of Rover on top of a spindly bit of cast iron is not for the feint-hearted or weak-sphinctered!

Rog

Agreed - I'd say 4ft.

IIRC the extra foot has a reduced lift rating (?) and anyway if you ever need that extra foot of lift then when you get up there you'd better make sure you are wearing heavy duty underpants... Two tons of Rover on top of a spindly bit of cast iron is not for the feint-hearted or weak-sphinctered!

Rog

As if by magic... About two hours after posting the above, I was 'testing' my new home made jackable bumper on the RRC and I got the front wheels an inch off the ground and WAHEY!!! off she goes sideways :o . That'll teach me not to chock it with bricks - they just slid along :(

Rog (phew! What's that smell?)

As if by magic... About two hours after posting the above, I was 'testing' my new home made jackable bumper on the RRC and I got the front wheels an inch off the ground and WAHEY!!! off she goes sideways :o . That'll teach me not to chock it with bricks - they just slid along :(

Rog (phew! What's that smell?)

4ft is more than enough Know many people who have bought 5ft one and ended up cutting of 1ft

Good things BUt

mmm hi-lifts dangerous bloodly things

4ft is more than enough Know many people who have bought 5ft one and ended up cutting of 1ft

Good things BUt

mmm hi-lifts dangerous bloodly things

I hate using my Hi-lift on the front or rear as it is soooo unstable, if you chock the wheels you need to be carefull how you do that as the motor can pivot either way.

You relly need to chock in front and behind the wheel and more that one wheel chocked.

My Hybrid came with rock/tree sliders on and for lifting a wheel it is far more stable as the motor cannot pivot around an axle at one end.

must get myself a hi-lift one day, having one bolted on the car looks 'proper off-roader' :ph34r:

not often they seem to get used though.

Much of the work I am doing involves getting one or more wheels off, and I don't like to leave it wheel-less because it is on the font and I don't want it to look too much like a derelict, so I find that I use the Hi-Lift all the time - much preferring it to the trolley jack due to it's speed and ease of use. I do have jackable sills though and I practiced carefully until I really got the hang of it.. And I am always VERY careful - I read somewhere on here about somebody who was hit under the chin (i think) by a high lift jack handle - just the thought of that make me wince....

Rog

I read somewhere on here about somebody who was hit under the chin (i think) by a high lift jack handle - just the thought of that make me wince....

Didn't John Cranfield off the 'old' forum lose an eye & smash up his head in a high-lift accident? Could be my imagination...?

Al.

Didn't John Cranfield off the 'old' forum lose an eye & smash up his head in a high-lift accident? Could be my imagination...?

Al.

Aye and Will/Exmoor Beast had a nasty incident with one too. Still didn't bash any sense into him though.

I don't bother carrying one anymore, as i've got a winch both ends and the suspension has a lot of (drop) travel, so it has to go a long way up to lift a wheel :( So i carry a disco bottle jack instead and use the waffle boards to jack on.

Hi-lift are to unstabe/dangerous IMHO, and weight a lot :angry:

A hi-lift just to change a wheel?

I've got a bottle jack in the back, about 10 times smaller, cheaper, lighter AND safer!

I reckon it's quicker too, you only need to lift the axle an inch or two, rather than lifting the chassis almost a foot.

of course, i have no bling bolted to the back door/spare tyre/bulkhead :rolleyes:

A hi-lift just to change a wheel?

I've got a bottle jack in the back, about 10 times smaller, cheaper, lighter AND safer!

I reckon it's quicker too, you only need to lift the axle an inch or two, rather than lifting the chassis almost a foot.

of course, i have no bling bolted to the back door/spare tyre/bulkhead :rolleyes:

Im liking the bottle jack idea,

seen one 6 ton rating with 20cm to 40cm range, i would imagine that should be enough?

smaller,lighter and cheaper, i like it. :)

Im liking the bottle jack idea,

seen one 6 ton rating with 20cm to 40cm range, i would imagine that should be enough?

smaller,lighter and cheaper, i like it. :)

Standard land rover ones change hands for about a tenner second hand. Make sure you get the two part handle with it.