VDO Rev Counter

mine is a 0 -5000rpm VDO unit as fitted to the V8 50th annivesary models, LR part number is or was AMR5724 works from a signal off the alternator 'W' terminal. 

updated 9 digit part number but exactly same as my unit.

VDO part number in photo's in this 

I have a couple of the aftermarket VDO 6k units, works just fine on a 300tdi. I needed to do some adjustment with the TGV engine because the alternator has an unusual number of poles, but with standard tdi alternator it was nearly spot on straight out of the box. (Second unit was already fitted on the 200tdi when I got it).

24 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

Thanks for the insights folks. FYI the AMR5724 is about £450, the YAE100800 about £290, both genuine parts. The picture of the AMR5724 on lrdirect shows a 6k rpm dial - maybe not the correct picture. So I might just buy a VDO one.  

I certainly didn't pay that much for mine, just over £58 back in July '99

On 4/22/2020 at 7:05 PM, cackshifter said:

Quick question to anyone who has one on a 300tdi or any 'traditional'  LR diesel for that matter I suppose; have you got the 4000rpm or 6000rpm full scale (and is it OK)? 

Here’s a link to when fitted to my 1997 300 Tdi - scroll half way downish...

https://pellylandroverdefender.blogspot.com/p/autumn-2017.html?m=1

Simon...

Just be careful if you do buy one from outside the EU. If the Post Office decide that tax is to be paid, they will hold it at the sorting office, leaving you a card directing you to a bill for the tax and that will include their own fee too. So expect to pay VAT on the whole cost (item plus P&P).