200tdi air intake

I have a defender 90 1991 model and i want to change the air filter but i want to put a performance filter. I want to remove the air filter box and put a round tapered air filter. This modification will make problems to the engine? How much air 200tdi engine needs? and this will give me more power? 

On 6/13/2020 at 5:37 PM, hurbie said:

if you have a original 200tdi , i will buy your airfilter box !

i don't think you will gain horsepower from a "performance" filter , you will get more noise ....

@Mixalis standard 200 tdi air filters are like rocking horse shiit - impossible to source so do not get rid of it!! The previous owner of mine did and I had extreme difficulty getting one back.

5 minutes ago, Geojake said:

@Mixalis standard 200 tdi air filters are like rocking horse shiit - impossible to source so do not get rid of it!! The previous owner of mine did and I had extreme difficulty getting one back.

Actually you can buy repro units.  Not cheap, but available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Off-Road-4x4-Land-Rover-200tdi-Air-Filter-Housing-Case-Bracket-OBPXAFB01-/172367282809

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/obp-4x4-Air-Filter-Housing-Defender-200-Tdi-OBPXAFH001/173603416048

Edited by Red90

5 minutes ago, Geojake said:

that's why i need one .... 200tdi in my 110 , no airfilter box 😞 

14 hours ago, Mixalis said:

@Nonimouse what different disco air box have than the defender air box

There's two defender ones - but not on the part lists...

There's one very similar to the Discovery/RRC 200Tdi wing mounted style

Then there are a number of Genuine Factory vehicles that are fitted with the TD style upright canister.

Note: Discovery/RRC 200tdi take a different filter to the Defender Tdi of virtually identical shape

Much better to spend the money you considered for suspension and big tyre mods for this, even if you get stung on overpriced sales.  The correct casing will protect the filter from mud and water splashes and a lot of dust.  Open filters get clogged and damaged very quickly.

No - it’ll let an awful lot of dust through and will be very noisy.  You will much better protect your engine with the standard equipment.

This and suspension are absolutely classic examples of expensive items marketed as upgrades which markedly downgrade the vehicle unless you have very specific and unusual circumstances.  Don’t be tempted to change much on the vehicle unless there is a very clear reason to - there are aspects that were made cheaply and poorly, but that mostly manifests in corrosion or broken parts.  But the design was proven over many decades and hundreds of thousands of vehicles with minimal changes other than the engine and primary gearboxes because they were right for the vast majority of users from the start.  Accessories and comforts are a little different, but most of the mechanical related stuff was pretty well designed.  The Rover differentials and front shafts were one of the few exceptions, but they’re not terrible, just don’t stand a lot of very hard off reading indefinitely.

You'd be far wiser to run the vehicle as standard for a while and find what doesn’t work for your circumstances than to jump in at the deep end and make changes without really knowing the vehicle and it’s behaviour.  Besides, any vehicle is going to have age and wear related issues to fix before alterations are prudent.

• Thanks 1

My local LandRover independent expert made a simple suggestion (he's built numerous LR's for customers and owns several LR's in the family which he has built or renovated, his daughter has a custom V8, he has a TD5 Disco, his wife has a 300tdi 110, and he also uses a home-made and tuned frankenstein hi-cap/double cab for his 'other' farming work)  - if you have the standard round tube airfilter box (I've got a 200tdi with the 2.5TD/19J filter setup) you'll see the lower section of the filter is covered with plastic with those fins around the bottom - simply cut some of the plastic off. He explained that by removing some of the plastic you increase the amount of filter exposed and thus the amount of air thats able to be drawn into the engine, and its still filtered properly. I tried it and it made a little difference - running cleaner (a bit less smoke) and a bit more pull as well. Not vast of course, but still noticeable. For the cost of a filter its worth a try.

Given I'm not running in hugely dusty conditions the absence of the swirly fins at the bottom isn't a problem. If I was going to be running in really dusty situations I'd leave it as it is, as the design is like that for a reason!

Edited by Jocklandjohn
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...