Lightweight vent panel and bulkhead build

Stellaghost

20 minutes ago, Maverik said:

TIG'ing thick alu is pretty satisfying (as a newbie TIG'er) still find thin Alu stuff pretty hard work.

Me also, I find with the thin stuff a foot pedal helps tremendously regards Stephen

• Like 1

Just now, Maverik said:

I'd take that as a win, that flange looks really tight, I'm guessing you annealed the alu before you hammered it back, did you have to do any intermediate annealing or did you just go for it?

No just went for it did not even anneal it regards Stephen 

24 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Remarkable work again.

Just on the bigger job - are you focusing on the bulkhead because you need to cycle the suspension with the bodywork on to finalise shock and link positions ? 

Thanks

Don't need bulkhead for cycling the suspension, however my existing bulkhead needs quite a bit of work and I kind of figured I could knock the aluminium bulkhead up reasonably quickly so I took a small diversion to get it done. Its all much of a muchness really, the build would have stalled a bit in the future anyway whilst I made the bulkhead. Also by making it now I'm removing the temptation to bodge original bulkhead to get by, only to have to strip it out completely at a later date if all that makes sense

Still looking to have it running later on this year, will just have to get my finger out regards Stephen

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Maverik said:

You've inspired me,  R-Tech are having a clear out so I've just purchased a discounted plasma cutter. Should help on the old grinding/ cutting time.

Hows the welding going?

Excellent, plasma cutters are great, save a fortune in cutting discs

Not started welding as yet, waiting to finish nightshift, but will be happening soon regards Stephen

• Like 1

Bit of a nightmare this morning tig just not wanting to play I was at the point that I thought the gas was contaminated 

20220807_121641.thumb.jpg.687471e6d0a4f389ec910a1c5011ade3.jpg

Turned out to be my ceramic nozzle was contaminated 

Changed that and completely different 

20220807_121649.thumb.jpg.f2302a8a9b707b3481515d8e5e3ab885.jpg

20220807_121655.thumb.jpg.ffc8b2c4ba5b1a6eae377fbbd91e6c80.jpg

still not great but happy enough

blended and will be fine once painted regards Stephen 

20220807_123829.thumb.jpg.a6700fbe6ad7a7ec86622490d78c9946.jpg

20220807_123921.thumb.jpg.849affacdaf639ad550ccbf453c62eb5.jpg

• Like 4