Lightweight vent panel and bulkhead build

Stellaghost

1 hour ago, Dr Strangeglove said:

First can I say how much I admire what you have done so far, I am in awe of your skills.

I find it frustrating you are getting the rips.

These comments are just guessing, so please note they are from a pressing novice - as in never done it or seen it being done.

With shear metal I have found that you have to allow the metal to form. If you try and stretch it too much it will tip or fracture.

With your panel you are forming quite a deep recess in flat sheet. If you were only forming a z from a sheet you would fold it. The edge to edge measurement would be significantly reduced. What you are doing is a mirrored z and giving it very little material to work with so everything is being stretched. The pressing needs to be able to drag metal in for it to work with. It can do it from the outside but not in the centre as both sides are connected. 

Would it be possible to cut a slot in the centre again as you did before? This will allow that spare material in the middle to be used to form the pressing. The longer edges should work ok but the extreme corners are where the trial and error will come in. Along the long edges you could possibly get away with just a cut, but I n the CV corners more thought and testing would be needed. 

I wonder if there is literature available that could give you some basic ideas.

I like fabrication and can't help but want to change things to how I want them. I have wondered about doing a bulkhead but have always been stumped by the pressing of the recess - then I see this thread and you blow my mind!

Fantastic effort on what you are doing - well done.

Just one note on your folder, try turning your channel into a box section by adding a plate to the open side as that should add quite a bit of strength. 

Well done again - this is a fantastic thread!!

always good to receive comments and advice, I have some more aluminium coming at some point so will no doubt try to Improve my technique. Steel plate always presses with no rips but a wee bit of rippling which I can hammer out, the joys of metal work eh. I hope you start and complete your bulkhead and most definitely post a build thread on here so we can all see thank you for your comments regards Stephen

So making inner plate for vent panel and causing myself a bit of work in the process

First marked out

20210115_102550.thumb.jpg.99f03a9d6dd7702ce3bc77ff282bf694.jpg

Then slots cut in

20210115_113515.thumb.jpg.7c4c38864d7bfb2f48a6ef5e71769d4f.jpg

Then drilled to weld as I dont have a spot welder

20210120_123201.thumb.jpg.0039ca4f6b8657b4fdb02714e40f05d7.jpg

Tigged up

20210120_135106.thumb.jpg.e1742b3e22203d568dca2434aa31b825.jpg

Blended and the started hammer forming the vent recess to create the small lip for the seal, cannot remember but I think the series 3 had this but my 2a does not, one side done the other to do tomorrow regards Stephen 

20210120_141950.thumb.jpg.1f95ad324709ca6e9c611b62456dc062.jpg

20210120_151830.thumb.jpg.431cb13b23e9d475658202dee4da482b.jpg

20210120_151911.thumb.jpg.13539342fa961499a6d6db360b7386b3.jpg

20210120_151846.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My wife made me chuckle the other night, I brought vent panel into the house to show her before I painted it she looked at it and said " what do you want one of them for" I said " what do you mean " she said " well why do you want one of them things that goes on top of the car, I mean will it even reach across" I said "what are you talking about" she looks at me like I'm stupid " why do you want a flashing light holder like the police on top of your landrover" I went back into the garage in desperation,  go figure !!!!! Regards Stephen 

• Haha 4