Oil in exhaust after 200TDI rebuild

I thought I would double check the valve clearances and found one rocker very loose. I've found this. 

Only one is bent so I believe that this happened on reassembly, I remember taking the rocker assembly off after the rebuild to check something and when I retightened, one of the pushrods was not seated in the cup. I did not think it would have bent but I can now see that they are very soft.

IMG_20201105_110224.jpg

Edited by youngengineer

3 hours ago, steve b said:

you definitely need to check the valve timing and then check the tappet clearance too . They are not soft at all and that amount of bending is from a significant amount of valve/piston contact 

Steve 

I've solved it. Power is back up, there's no trace of smoke, there's no more diesel leaking through the exhaust. There's hardly any blowby when warm. Jobs done!

All I did was replace the bent pushrod and readjust all the valve clearances.

That one bent rod was the one that I crushed when reinstalling the rocker assembly. When I cranked the engine over by hand I felt resistance and stopped and then noticed the rod off the cup.

I guess that was enough to bend it but I did not notice at the time.

Thank you everyone for all the help!

Edited by youngengineer

25 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Brilliant. It was diesel then, so @Red90 was on the money. How did that push rod get bent? Do you have any idea?

I bent it reinstalling the rocker assembly. The rod cup was not seated correctly onto the rocker ball end and when I torqued it down it jammed up. Thankfully I did not start the engine and opted to turn it over by hand. As I turned the engine over I felt resistance  and stopped. It must have been enough to bend the rod.

Edited by youngengineer

I assume this was an inlet valve.  What happens is you partially starve that cylinder but the fuel rates stay constant.  The downside is that you have probably damaged that cylinder from excessive fuel washing. It does not take long.

Edited by Red90
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red90 said:

I assume this was an inlet valve.  What happens is you partially starve that cylinder but the fuel rates stay constant.  The downside is that you have probably damaged that cylinder from excessive fuel washing. It does not take long

Possible.

I did less then 3 miles, pretty much up and down a local road.

1 hour ago, youngengineer said:

Thankfully I did not start the engine and opted to turn it over by hand. As I turned the engine over I felt resistance  and stopped. It must have been enough to bend the rod

However you did run the engine after that though. I'm a bit confused and feel as though there's something for me to learn here. 😀

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

However you did run the engine after that though. I'm a bit confused and feel as though there's something for me to learn here. 😀

I ran the engine after I reseated the pushrod. I did not see it had bent at the time. I did not run the engine when the pushrod was unseated and jammed under the rocker arm. Not sure if I am explaining well.

Edited by youngengineer

I'm not sure I understand how (assuming the timing was set correctly) that not having a pushrod seated correctly on a rocker arm did that damage. Surely it would just lift the rocker, just not fully.

I've made this mistake before and the engine ran like a bag of spanners before I realised why. When I took the push rod out to check, it was not bent so I just reassembled and the engine ran fine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, monkie said:

I'm not sure I understand how (assuming the timing was set correctly) that not having a pushrod seated correctly on a rocker arm did that damage. Surely it would just lift the rocker, just not fully.

I've made this mistake before and the engine ran like a bag of spanners before I realised why. When I took the push rod out to check, it was not bent so I just reassembled and the engine ran fine. 

The valve hit the top of the piston as I cranked the engine over by hand. The pushrod was sitting on the edge of the cup which would give it much more lift.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, youngengineer said:

The valve hit the top of the piston as I cranked the engine over by hand. The pushrod was sitting on the edge of the cup which would give it much more lift.

Ah right, I see. I had pictured the push rod just sat under the rocker arm, unlucky that it didn't just pop into place. As I understand it, the push rods are designed to go first to protect the valves and rocker. Good to hear its sorted. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, monkie said:

Ah right, I see. I had pictured the push rod just sat under the rocker arm, unlucky that it didn't just pop into place. As I understand it, the push rods are designed to go first to protect the valves and rocker. Good to hear its sorted. 

I also thought they might be a sacrificial piece as they seemed quite soft. I bent the old one back straight with ease. I'm also shocked that I managed to bend it in the first place by turning the engine over with a 1/2" Ratchet.

Edited by youngengineer

14 hours ago, Red90 said:

I assume this was an inlet valve.  What happens is you partially starve that cylinder but the fuel rates stay constant.  The downside is that you have probably damaged that cylinder from excessive fuel washing. It does not take long.

better explanation than mine

22 hours ago, Red90 said:

Yes, it really needs the head off again to check for scoring.  If it only did three miles, it might have got away with it.  There is the possibility it’ll need honing again and another set of rings on that bore.   It’ll need new oil for sure, as diesel will have contaminated the current oil.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Yes, it really needs the head off again to check for scoring.  If it only did three miles, it might have got away with it.  There is the possibility it’ll need honing again and another set of rings on that bore.   It’ll need new oil for sure, as diesel will have contaminated the current oil.

I think I will just live with it. I'm certainly not replacing pistons or re-honing. There's very little blow-by when hot and virtually no smoke at all if any. If its scored then its scored. The engines in a much better state then it was pre rebuild. I suppose I could have a look through the injector hole with an inspection camera.

Down the line I will test compression on all cylinders once I have a functional compression tester.

Edited by youngengineer