200tdi Boost help

I have recently fitted a boost gauge. Car runs smooth but it does feel sluggish.
I have the spacer and boost pin upgrade but even when I did that I didn’t notice anything obviously different. Everyone raves that the difference is night n day ... but not me.

boost gauge goes to about 30psi but even when I rag the arse off it, uphill, downhill, different rp,  it only reads as far as 10psi sometimes maybe 11 at a push

checked all hosed with soapy water for leaks. Boost pin is facing the correct way. As said it runs nice n smooth, no lumpy bits or misfires.

should I be seeing more boost than 10 ??

thanks

Ah ok. 
maybe I’m just looking for more power that just ain’t there then..

I would of expected the difference after fitting boost pin and space to have made more difference though.

im not expecting to take it on 1/4mile strips but did expect a little more

thanks for reply  

You don't say what vehicle it's in, but for ease sake, lets say it's a 90. That's 1.7 tonnes before you add bits or mess about with the gearing and fit bigger tyres.

Out of the factory it was producing 108bhp - that's at the flywheel, not the tyres. Allow upto 40% parastic loss with a constant 4 wheel drive system, that's about 66 bhp at the wheels; when NEW

Lets say you have 150k on the engine and that the injectors haven't been serviced in a while - that's at least 10bhp gone, more likely 20bhp...  See where I'm going

All a pin and ring does is over-fuel (unless you bought Nick Steggal's kit where tuning is more complex) and create a plume of unburnt diesel behind you.

12-14psi is what you get with a 200tdi and 18 is about the safe limit.  But the turbo is maybe not as good as it once was....

Remove the ring and pin. Set the pump back to standard. Service the living hell out of the vehicle. 200 injector nozzles are no longer available, but 300 nozzles fit (but will need pop testing and pressure calibrating)... All the filters need doing. Including the pointless sedimentor if fitted. Replace the lift pump and centralise the cam bar. Wash out the intercooler with brake cleaner. Wash out the cyclonic seperator. I'd swap in a new cam belt and cam and crank seals, along with a nice new tensioner and a water pump. Flush the cooling system, including the rad. Run decent oil. Run it like this for 5k. Now you know what it drives like.

If you need more power, fit your boost pin and ring, but read up on how to do this properly. Fit a freer flowing intercooler. Lose the middle box of your exhaust system

Sorted

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I think the 200Tdi should officially be boosting 12psi and 14psi for a 300Tdi. Depending on exactly where you have plumbed the gauge in, 10-11psi sounds about right to me.

200tdi boost pressure should be 0.85 bar, I set mine at 15psi which is just over. Check the hose for fit fit & make sure it doesn't have any leaks. 

55 minutes ago, Chambo110 said:

Ah ok. 
maybe I’m just looking for more power that just ain’t there then..

I would of expected the difference after fitting boost pin and space to have made more difference though.

im not expecting to take it on 1/4mile strips but did expect a little more

thanks for reply  

Have you driven any other Tdi's for comparison? I've found over the years that you sometimes get a lame one. Especially with the Tdi's. It doesn't really matter what you do to them, they never perform as well as other engines setup the same. Obviously there must be some difference. But bolt on tuning isn't likely to overcome it.

Personally I think Tdi's go pretty well. And are quite addictive when tuned. It really shouldn't feel sluggish, infact they can have very good sensation. A big dollop of torque and shove in the back, followed by smooth revs. Even if the reality is you aren't going all that quickly, they should feel like you are.

I also don't think Tdi's normally loose 20hp with age. But the lame or poor running ones could well be down on power. Have certainly see both ends of the spectrum on the dyno.

This is my 200Tdi from a couple of years ago. The Td5 90 in front had the day before been tuned (Alive I think) and dyno'd at 184bhp. I know he has a roof tent on, but I was easily sticking with him, if not slightly gaining. We did several other runs and off the line the Tdi was quicker 4 out of 4 attempts and would stay out in front. I'm not saying the Tdi was making the same power (it isn't). But it shouldn't feel sluggish IMO. I've done a few more mods since this vid and it runs considerably better now too.

Chicken thanks.. no not driven others .. love that vid..

just want it to run right.. if this is right then I’m happy enough.

Not had a good long drive for a while but from memory it did struggle a little ( had to drop down a gear) going uphill while loaded with 2 adults 2kids. 

4 minutes ago, vulcan bomber said:

Pull the boost pin out of the pump with the engine off. Then look down the hole and see if a little pin pops out if as you open the pump up to full throttle. 

As mentioned, the 200 should produce 12psi of boost at full tilt. It can be set to 15 or 16 with no detriment.

Cheers bomber.. exactly what I done today.

think I’ll jig it up to 14 

Using my pic above which direction do I need to move??

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Chambo110 said:

Is this at about 2500-300rpm uphill ?

Thats the figure the manual says is the factory setting, Yes 1 bar is 14.7psi, 

just looked in my workshop manual it has 0.78bar max for 200tdi . 

must be a misprint in one of the manuals.

My 200tdi tops out at 1.5bar boost. Its set like that so I get 1bar at 70mph easily with the overdrive engaged. I rarely, if ever, boot it to 1.5bar. Its been setup like this for at least 8 years. My fuelling is increased, pump timing adjusted, Brunel intercooler fitted and engine in tip top condition. 1bar max wont hurt yours Chambo. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, reb78 said:

My 200tdi tops out at 1.5bar boost. Its set like that so I get 1bar at 70mph easily with the overdrive engaged. I rarely, if ever, boot it to 1.5bar. Its been setup like this for at least 8 years. My fuelling is increased, pump timing adjusted, Brunel intercooler fitted and engine in tip top condition. 1bar max wont hurt yours Chambo. 

I think I need to have a chat with you Richard when I've got mine sorted 👍

4 hours ago, reb78 said:

Cracking I’ll go for 1 then. Would I need to do anything with pump ??

not 100% on my engine. Mileage says 165k but speedo wasn’t working when I got it. So who knows how many it really has.

would oil pressure give me an idea of what’s happening inside ?

intercooler might be on Santa’s list. 
cheers Mo