Experiences with combined pintle hitch and ball hitch?

elbekko

I've used the DB combined tow ball and hitch for the last 30 years on various LRs, and invariably on an adjustanle drop plate. I think they are unbeatable for versatility.

One key factor that many miss is that they should always be used with the pin installed, even when towing on the ball. It's on the DB instructions and on the plate that is rivetted on them when  new. Failure to do so can result in the jaw bending.

On the recovery thing, as others have said , I've never seen a tow ball fail, only the part it was attached to.

20 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

One key factor that many miss is that they should always be used with the pin installed, even when towing on the ball. It's on the DB instructions and on the plate that is rivetted on them when  new. Failure to do so can result in the jaw bending.

I've always had the pin in, 99% sure my lower jaw is bent because I landed it on some rocks a few times.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

See if you can get your small trailer on, that will prove it's the right size. But don't hurt your back hauling that thing around, better put it in a wheelbarrow or such. 😉

Looking forward to seeing it for real next weekend!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Do you have small hands?

Perhaps a piece of 'merch' would help for scale? 😛 

Now with size reference:

20210616_083843.thumb.jpg.9e128893216a91081dd6a22707d03b20.jpg

Paperwork says 50mm ball, quick measurement confirms.

Quick look on the car says: much lower ball, overall size about the same, sticks out a bit further though, so a little bit more of a ground anchor. But it can no doubt take a beating :)

20210616_084253.thumb.jpg.beffb92f612c34e16a31ede3fcb26513.jpg

Mine has survived  10 years without any signs of damage from the granite in the Massif Central. Keep the safety lock and hinge  pin lubricated, it is out in the weather all the time and has a habit of rusting up,, from experience.

• Thanks 1