Crankshaft seal surface

Puzzled by this one. The surface of the journal on the back of my 200Tdi’s crankshaft has some kind of substance on it, aft of where the seal runs. It’s fairly hard - I managed to scrap a few high points (almost like paint drips) off with my fingernail but the rest of it won’t budge. I am really not keen to use any kind of metal scraper on this sealing surface lest I damage it.

I’ve noticed there’s more of what looks like the same stuff inside the flywheel housing.

Any thoughts on what it could be and how I can get it off?

FCB92B4E-EEB1-4BD1-8D08-A5B0F1E5E78C.thumb.jpeg.2b587f38057a252f33046343960eb1d6.jpeg

8BE1D48A-C528-4AE3-B7D0-E384C53DEE36.thumb.jpeg.166700905a9d69b5285c3f37b232b0b6.jpeg

7E14AE26-AA0A-435B-AD69-E284FA1704D0.thumb.jpeg.f7c7101edea0a3c71931a03087d109cb.jpeg

It would seem after further research that it’s residue from oil that’s built up over time. Some oven cleaner has had a small impact on it, so that may be an option to remove it - with a lot of effort.

Is it safe to use a brass wire brush on the crankshaft surface?

4 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

It would seem after further research that it’s residue from oil that’s built up over time. Some oven cleaner has had a small impact on it, so that may be an option to remove it - with a lot of effort.

Is it safe to use a brass wire brush on the crankshaft surface?

Have you tried the foamy oven cleaner in a can stuff. I think its a Mr Muscle one. Worked wonders on a properly properly baked in oven I cleaned up. Thinking stuff I could barely scratch came up like new after a couple of applications. It's a spray on and leave for ~30mins type one. 

23 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

It's just sodium hydroxide, I believe, nasty, nasty stuff that makes my lungs burn!

Yes it is and I share your sentiments about it. I always warn against this stuff, dangers of it can't be overstated as it is seemingly such a common household item packaged in a familiar brand with the adverts we've all seen on TV. 

Recently we've read cautionary tales on this forum from those who have required medical intervention because of incidents whilst working on their vehicles (luckily are still here to tell the tale). I'm not particularly squeamish but I don't cope well with hearing about eye injuries! If anyone does insist on using things containing sodium hydroxide, for God's sake please wear proper eye protection, thick gloves and keep anything containing sodium hydroxide off aluminium parts. 

Coming back to the OP's question (rant over), would very careful use of a fine grade sand paper shift it? 

Edited by monkie

It was the foamy stuff I was trying yes. I’ll mask up the back of the engine properly to keep it off everything else and then give it a proper dose to see what happens.

I’m not particularly keen to use any kind of abrasive on the sealing surface if I can avoid it. I know in theory a very fine wet and dry could be used with some oil to polish it but that comes with a risk of ballsing it up, so if I can avoid that I will!

Find something hard to scrape but something not as hard as the crank - get a 2p or 1p coin to move the heavy stuff then I'd just dress it with some very fine wet and dry. (for the smart arse's - yes new coins have a core made of steel, but they have a relatively thick bit of copper thats wrapped around it which will be fine for what I suggest).