200tdi fuel lift pump

I use the Facet solid state e-pumps or the Facet type as fitted to RRC V8's 

The quality of OEM mechanical pumps is at best luck of the draw and more frequently rubbish , I've had failures within 3k miles ...

Steve

So far as I can tell, all of the mechanical pumps "suck"; I have one that claims to be Delphi with a snapped operating arm. As I run most of the time on SVO, I am an accelerated wear test for mechanical lift pumps and I have struggled to find one to last more than 40k. 

Having said all that the Delphi ones seem better than the unbranded norm.

Have you been using the spacer? I fitted one, it failed in two years. When I went to fit the next it was exactly the same however it came with a spacer, I fitted it and this time it's lasted a lot longer. My conclusion is whilst they do fit without the spacer it over stresses the arm or diaphragm thus causes failures.

Mike

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Simon Smith said:

On the subject of SVO. is it OK to use normal rubber fuel hose to connect the pump? I was told it's not compatible. 

No, the SVO turns rubber into a gummy mess.

I have had few problems with Delphi lift pumps, while others are hit and miss.  I think part of the issue is that some pumps have longer mountings than others, many needing the spacer plate between their foot and the block side plate or mounting point, and installed without that, the arm is operating over too large an arc and straining the diaphragm with excessive throw.

I've used the same electric pump as Reb. If mounting on the bulkhead you'll really need to mount it on a couple of rubber bobbins to keep the noise down.

All works very well, no more playing silly buggers trying to fill a new fuel filter, just open the bleed bolt and switch on the ignition ! It's worth it just for that 😁

Mo

22 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

I've used the same electric pump as Reb. If mounting on the bulkhead you'll really need to mount it on a couple of rubber bobbins to keep the noise down.

All works very well, no more playing silly buggers trying to fill a new fuel filter, just open the bleed bolt and switch on the ignition ! It's worth it just for that 😁

Mo

I've always just started the engine if your mechanical or electric pump is working it will prime itself. 

13 minutes ago, Simon Smith said:

I'm going to connect mine using a relay triggered by the charge light feed from the alternator, that way the pump will only run with the engine running. 

It will be on and dead heading when you have ignition on engine off to listen to the radio then. Mine is on a switch. 

Edited by reb78

2 minutes ago, reb78 said:

It will be on and dead heading when you have ignition on engine off to listen to the radio then. Mine is on a switch. 

No it won't, this is a common "safety" system used on race cars. The pump will only run when the engine is running and the charge light goes out. If you have an accident and the engine stops, the pump stops too. 

36 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

Mine runs with the stop solenoid wiring and goes through the inertia switch to knock it off in the event of a prang.

Mo

How do you find the inertia switch off road? It would be simpler but I was thinking it would trip too often. 

2 hours ago, Simon Smith said:

No it won't, this is a common "safety" system used on race cars. The pump will only run when the engine is running and the charge light goes out. If you have an accident and the engine stops, the pump stops too. 

Ah. Ok. 

10 hours ago, Simon Smith said:

Thanks Mo, just ordered one. It's going to be a lot easier to wire up that way. 

Going electric then Simon ?

I used one of these to blank the lift pump aperture.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-Fuel-Lift-Pump-Blank-Plate-Land-Range-Rover-200-300-TDI-Diesel-P38-/252404691741?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

One day I'll drop the sump from the 90 and fish out the lift pump linkages that went AWOL over the years !

HTH

Mo

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I seem to remember the Britannica chap on YouTube pointing out the lift pump as a common source of an oil leak - where it runs down the block from it and looks like it’s leaking from the sump gasket. Mine has some oil on that side of the sump … 🤔