Registration number

I would think so, but obviously the tax free qualification would not be transferable - that is attached to the VIN rather than the registration number, so would prevent the loss of the exemption on the older vehicle once you assign a new registration to that.

My understanding is that the 'source' vehicle needs to be road-legal [meaning it is both taxed and MOTd - and maybe insured? - as appropriate at the time-of-transfer].

Tax/MoT-exemption - along with [to me far more important] emissions-certifications don't transfer with registration-numbers. This could pose issues if you drive into one of the low-emission-zones and their retarded CCTV sees you're driving a vehicle with an 'old' registration-number so they stick you for a fine without realising you're actually in a 2021 Euro6-compliant vehicle.

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

Aren't they linked to APNR databases,?

You would think so, but I have to wonder, as the MOT on our works delivery van ran out at the end of August last year, and was forgotten about. Was only picked up when the Road Tax was up for renewal.

It has done 42k miles since the last MOT, probably about half that since it expired. Driven far and wide with it and also into the London congestion zone, which has been paid several times. Never been stopped, and no correspondence either ?????

Anyway, back on topic, vehicle must exist, and must have current MOT and tax. They may call you in for a random inspection. Also, you cannot use a LATER suffix or prefix. Meaning you cannot make a vehicle appear younger than it actually is.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:47 PM, smallfry said:

You would think so, but I have to wonder, as the MOT on our works delivery van ran out at the end of August last year, and was forgotten about. Was only picked up when the Road Tax was up for renewal.

It has done 42k miles since the last MOT, probably about half that since it expired. Driven far and wide with it and also into the London congestion zone, which has been paid several times. Never been stopped, and no correspondence either ?????

Anyway, back on topic, vehicle must exist, and must have current MOT and tax. They may call you in for a random inspection. Also, you cannot use a LATER suffix or prefix. Meaning you cannot make a vehicle appear younger than it actually is.

Been there and done similar. Drove in and out of Oxford with the second job throughout December 2019, 3 straight weeks and 120hrs on the trot of christmas party work on top of the day job. Wasn't until 2 days before christmas I realised my MOT had run out a couple of weeks prior so they did it on the day before Boxing day christmas eve. It was only when I logged in to check the MOT status that I noticed the tax had been due on the 1st as well. Up and down the A420 with ANPR cameras and police about. I was going through a breakup and my head wasn't in the right place add to that I never received the Tax reminder through either. Had to drive home to get the V5 info before I could tax it and then go and pick it up from the MOT. 

Day before Boxing Day?

I have the opposite concern re plod. I was once stopped for no insurance even though I had it, it was not showing on their database (they were OK when I produced it later) but no apology. They allowed my mate to drive home but humilitating for me. Now they sieze and crush cars for no insurance and as I have had my S1 for 40 hrs and cannot replace it I have to check MID every week before using it!

3 hours ago, missingsid said:

Day before Boxing Day?

I have the opposite concern re plod. I was once stopped for no insurance even though I had it, it was not showing on their database (they were OK when I produced it later) but no apology. They allowed my mate to drive home but humilitating for me. Now they sieze and crush cars for no insurance and as I have had my S1 for 40 hrs and cannot replace it I have to check MID every week before using it!

Doh.... Christmas eve :lol: 

8 hours ago, missingsid said:

Day before Boxing Day?

Glass houses and all that 😜

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2021 at 10:47 PM, smallfry said:

vehicle must exist, and must have current MOT and tax. They may call you in for a random inspection. 

I am in the process of doing as car at the mpoment. I bought a plate and put it temporarily on a car, just so I had the plate. When I applied for the logbook the chassis number on the dash didn't match the chassis number of the car and after a lot of back and forth finally got the logbook. Put the plate on, blew the turbo and then went to remove the plate and they would not allow an on line removal they have called for an inspection. 

The car can be taxed or sorned and only need insurance if the plate is being transferred on to another vehicle directly. If it hasn't been on the road for 5 years the car needs to be MOT'd

DVLA rules are very strange about the requirement of an MOT on the vehicle to be able to transfer a cherished plate from it, They dont appear to make any allowance for MOT exempt vehicles (this has recently cropped up on the S2 forum).

They must have a reason.  it would help if they explained

Peter

3 hours ago, Romahomepete said:

DVLA rules are very strange about the requirement of an MOT on the vehicle to be able to transfer a cherished plate from it, They dont appear to make any allowance for MOT exempt vehicles (this has recently cropped up on the S2 forum).

They must have a reason.  it would help if they explained

Peter

The MOT requirement has been changed now. Can’t remember the exact details but it’s possible without an MOT now.