Ooops - Power Steering Pipe Burst

Hi Folks,

The pipe from the power steering pump to the steering box has burst on our Defender 110 300Tdi

We're away on travels and as such have limited ability to fix. Also, looking at the nature of the burst it'll not be an easy repair in any case given this is a high pressure system.

Wondering how fatal this is?

Clearly no power steering. However, if continued on limited driving, would this damage the power steering pump?

Not planning on doing too much driving other than a few local runs and a long 150 mile trip home.

Thoughts please 🙂

Thanks in advance,

Simon...

I've had this happen - if you can remove the PAS belt or find a shorter belt* to run without the PAS pump turning, do that. The pump won't thank you for running dry, so if you can loop the remains of the pipe back to the return (or bodge something to do so) you'll at least be circulating fluid albeit at zero pressure.

Keeping crud out is also a good idea - from the pump & the box - so try to blank ports/ends or otherwise just bodge stuff up so that fluid can't get out and dirt can't get in.

* = Any motor factors and even Halfords should have a selection of belts by length and width for you to choose from.

I agree with the above , driving it any distance at all without PAS would be at best very hard and at worst dangerous . 

With the 300 it would be hard to bypass the drive belt away from the PAS pump and keeping it in and  recirculating from the outlet to the reservoir would be hard to contain the flow . 

Any local to you Hydraulic mobile repair service should be able to provide a workable temporary fix using your rigid pipe ends and fittings , it only runs at around 100bar .

You could also give us an approx. location - there may be someone nearby that has a spare ? 

Failing all that buy some AA type recovery and get lifted back ?  

Steve

19 hours ago, simonpelly said:

Hi Folks,

The pipe from the power steering pump to the steering box has burst on our Defender 110 300Tdi

We're away on travels and as such have limited ability to fix. Also, looking at the nature of the burst it'll not be an easy repair in any case given this is a high pressure system.

Wondering how fatal this is?

Clearly no power steering. However, if continued on limited driving, would this damage the power steering pump?

Not planning on doing too much driving other than a few local runs and a long 150 mile trip home.

Thoughts please 🙂

Thanks in advance,

Simon...

Where are you on your travels ? there must be a LR or hydraulic places in the area.

There are plenty of hydraulic-service companies that will come out to you and fix the problem, Pirtek being a good example, but given that this is harvest-season they're really busy doing work on tractors/combines/silagers so don't necessarily expect "ETA 1 hour" response.

Driving with failed PAS - just don't get involved in an accident or your insurers will be likely to disown you.

17 hours ago, cackshifter said:

I think you need to get it fixed, it is difficult to steer without power. One thing to limp to safety like that, another to set off on a 150 mile trip

I drove mine back from Russia with no PAS, towing a trailer, on 37's, it was fine. It's just heavy when parking.

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I drove mine back from Russia with no PAS, towing a trailer, on 37's, it was fine. It's just heavy when parking.

Good effort! My concern was round whether it would be considered roadworthy and therefore what effect it might have on insurance esp as the op would have been setting out with it faulty. 

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the replies.

Managed to make a "fix" with a short length of high pressure hose, some jubilee clips and of course a couple of zip ties.

Filled up with a litre of PAS fluid.

Power steering has returned. Yippee!

That said, I dare not turn on a full lock.

Hopefully this will see us through to back home.

Thanks again for thoughts and suggestions. Certainly was keen not to have the pump running dry as well as setting off with a known issue.

Will order some new pipe when home.

Simon...

IMG_4955.JPG

• Like 1