Fitting Leafs

kevin50

It's not unknown for suppliers to mismatch nuts to Ubolts - That's assuming the nuts were included with the new Ubolts.

I suggest removing a U bolt then try a nut to see if it is a thread clash, or something else.

2nd thoughts - are you sure the head of the single central bolt is correctly in the hole in the spring seat.

Regards.

40 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

What vehicle? Military? 

Its a bit of everything I think 109 hers a pic of chassis 

12 minutes ago, David Sparkes said:

It's not unknown for suppliers to mismatch nuts to Ubolts - That's assuming the nuts were included with the new Ubolts.

I suggest removing a U bolt then try a nut to see if it is a thread clash, or something else.

2nd thoughts - are you sure the head of the single central bolt is correctly in the hole in the spring seat.

Regards.

Will check for head bolt seating correctley 

IMG_20210909_163010.jpg

7 minutes ago, Wytze said:

Lovely new build,  will be watching this.  

About the springs, are they new or used ones?  New , maybe to much paint between the leafs?  Used , maybe to much crusty bits between the leafs, or paint aswell? 

I was thinking that too, they were new but stood for a few years all rusted up, I gave them a good clean after dipping in acid for a couple of days and then primed and painted them so could be an accumulation of both. 

That's an ex mil. chassis or 1 ton by look of front . If everything is seated correctly then the U bolts  are way too short (assuming standard spring packs ) 

13 leaf front and 8 leaf rear iirc 

Jones Springs will supply you the correct length for your build  

Steve

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kevin50 said:

I was thinking that too, they were new but stood for a few years all rusted up, I gave them a good clean after dipping in acid for a couple of days and then primed and painted them so could be an accumulation of both. 

Looks like 10mm will do it.  Take them apart, sand the contact patches, and just grease them before putting them together again.  Will give a more smooth ride to

Jones Springs front set  LRUBF

rear set LRUBR

Supplied with nuts and are long enough for HD spring packs so once fitted you may choose to trim down . 

The "square" one OSF inner is formed correctly unlike many pattern ones . No connection other than using them , they also fit the clamp plate which pattern ones often don't. 

Steve

On 9/20/2021 at 5:26 PM, steve b said:

Jones Springs front set  LRUBF

rear set LRUBR

Supplied with nuts and are long enough for HD spring packs so once fitted you may choose to trim down . 

The "square" one OSF inner is formed correctly unlike many pattern ones . No connection other than using them , they also fit the clamp plate which pattern ones often don't. 

Steve

9 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Cleaned everything up and tried again, still no good got me stumped now, only thing I can see that would cure it is longer u bolts, but can you get them ?

Yes.  Like I said, the bolts you have been provided are most likely for parabolic springs, which are much shorter than the standard U bolts as parabolics are typically half the thickness of semi-elliptical springs.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

Yes.  Like I said, the bolts you have been provided are most likely for parabolic springs, which are much shorter than the standard U bolts as parabolics are typically half the thickness of semi-elliptical springs.

Thanks Mate, called in to my local landy place today and he says to take one in to compare, with longer ones. I have Part Number: 543108 from paddocks but there is a few to choose from here Suspension Parts for Land Rover Series 2, 2A and Series 3 - Paddock Spares

I got part numbers from here Front Road Springs - 88in/109in Diesel. 109in 4cyl/6cyl/V8 Petrol (Except 1 Ton) - Find Land Rover parts at LR Workshop but not sure if Ive used  the right diagram.

Edited by kevin50
o

On 9/20/2021 at 4:03 PM, kevin50 said:

My springs are 11 leafs front and 9 rear, is there a longer U Bolt / anyone know part number /

As Steve B said, Jones Springs will supply U-Bolts any size to order - if you supply them with measurements they can find the right thing or make it.

Well got the rears done. what a faff on.
Stuck on the front now as not sure what goes where. Firstly the bolts wont go through the chassis bushes, they went through the same bushes on rear though, Secondly not sure which way shackles go top or bottom.
On Diagram I have Left 2 90577721s 2 90577723s 4 537742s and 537741s

-except-1-ton.png

IMG_20210925_180657.jpg

IMG_20210925_183637.jpg

The plain shackle can be fitted either way up.  The shackle with the big spacer has that spacer lower most and toward the spring (the spring is narrower than the chassis), and that shackle is on the inboard side of the chassis.  My outboard shackles were all completely plain, but yours has a small spacer.  I’d expect that to be at the bottom facing the spring.

11 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Well got the rears done. what a faff on.
Stuck on the front now as not sure what goes where. Firstly the bolts wont go through the chassis bushes, they went through the same bushes on rear though, Secondly not sure which way shackles go top or bottom.
On Diagram I have Left 2 90577721s 2 90577723s 4 537742s and 537741s

-except-1-ton.png

IMG_20210925_180657.jpg

IMG_20210925_183637.jpg

A little burr inside the bush?