Deliberations on the 2021 Force Ghurka

Bowie69

This popped up.... thought it a worthy contender for  a defender replacement:

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/09/indias-2021-force-gurkha-makes-a-jeep-wrangler-feel-like-a-rolls-cullinan/amp/

Sadly not a available in the UK, from what I can see, but £17K🤯 -a lot of new Defender owners will see that depreciation in the first six months....

16 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Yep, wouldn't be surprised if Merc has tried to sue them....

Especially the previous model (the light green one in the vid) looks like a G-wagon shrunken down a bit. Just to prove I'm a grumpy old barsteward, I prefer the old one, not only the looks but also the lack of a touchscreen and other gizmos.

It didn't seem very convincing offroad though, the lack of center differential and IFS with obviously limited articulation let it down. The lever operated lockers are nice though!
Not taking price into account, I'd still prefer one of these to a new Defender, just because of the character and because there's less electrickery to annoy me. I'll take a Niva over both any day. 🙂    

11 hours ago, Gazzar said:

The concern would be, assuming it met any emissions standards, quality of construction. I've heard reports of poor manufacturing quality from the sub continent.

🤣 - kettle - pot - black... (i.e. from a land rover owner perspective...) when has Land Rover boasted any of those accolades "emissions standards, quality of construction, manufacturing quality"

Interesting that the Force Gurkha price is similar to the Mahindra Thar - similar vehicles but the Thar seems a little better designed for offroad activity  eg.(approach/departure angles). But the Thar apparently has Mahindra's own mHawk engine (which I know nothing about) - so the Merc engined Force might be positioned better for marketing purposes.... 

On 9/20/2021 at 11:30 PM, Gazzar said:

The concern would be, assuming it met any emissions standards, quality of construction. I've heard reports of poor manufacturing quality from the sub continent.

Almost all building construction and vehicle maintenance in the Middle East is carried out by Indians.  Based on all that I have seen, and also of Indian aircraft maintenance, this thing will be a death trap, like Mahindras.

On 9/22/2021 at 5:12 AM, Snagger said:

Almost all building construction and vehicle maintenance in the Middle East is carried out by Indians.  Based on all that I have seen, and also of Indian aircraft maintenance, this thing will be a death trap, like Mahindras.

Is this an opinion or is this based on experience?

On 9/20/2021 at 1:47 PM, Bowie69 said:

This popped up.... thought it a worthy contender for  a defender replacement:

"the interior looks like something out of a 1970s Wartburg, with acres of hard, shiny plastic dominating the cabin.

And according to Autocar India’s review, that’s not the only place the refinement is lacking. The reviewer explains that the weedy 90 hp (91 PS) 2.6-liter Mercedes diesel engine is slow and noisy, and the five-speed manual gearbox as vague as a Bronze Age atlas.

The slow, sloppy steering also gets a slating in this review"

It does indeed sound a lot like a replacement for the original Defender!

It is cheap - I'll give them that.  I can see these being ragged around pay & play sites in years to come, like people did Suzuki SJ's in years gone by.