200tdi suspect head gasket failure? thoughts...

So I've just pulled off all the pipework in readyness for the serius bits, but I'm just pausing (for the weather) and to double check.

I've not had a headgasket go before so just double checking myself.

I'm pretty confident there aren't any blockages in the coolant, happy the water pump is ok - thermostat could be a question mark, but would a dodgy thermostate cause such a build up of gas in the coolant? - I've had stuck thermostats before and its pretty obvious as the engine overheats usually within a few minutes of a drive - last night it was fine then the temp suddenly started to rise and shot above 100, I bled off the top rad hose and it then kept temp at 90 degrees, but by the time I got to my destination the header tank was full and has been leaking from the cap and the top of the radiator was full of air again.

To me this suggests I've got a combustion leak into the coolant and it fills the top radiator and top hose creating an air lock over the thermostat, so it doesnt work properly...

Is that sound rational?

Sorry if I've missed this, did you do a compression test and compare values? 

When you remove the gasket, check it out very carefully and also check the surface on the top of the block and head. You will quite possibly see where it has failed. 

This is the head gasket that had failed on the 200tdi engine I got from Ian. You can see where it was blowing. 

IMG_20210701_145122.thumb.jpg.cfc89771405c16292586ed911e729efa.jpgIMG_20210701_145135.thumb.jpg.25218ec84bf614695cdbd0246b4427e3.jpgIMG_20210701_145141.thumb.jpg.d9b1dd72fba51a9daf57d34760292227.jpg

29 minutes ago, steve b said:

It's probably from the blown HG .

Was it your short block refurb'd ? 

Steve

Yeah that's been one of the big pointers.

No not my original block it was service exchange I sent them my spare disco block and they kept it and sent me one they had just finished.

Heads off... I reckon its gone between cylinders 2&3 out to the wee stupid redundant gasket holes... question is why. 

Heads away to Park engineering in Malton for pressure testing and measuring to see if its warped any.

Next question, to re-use the old head bolts...? they where new last November when I did the block. 

20220221_143916.jpg

20220221_143924.jpg

20220221_144258.jpg

20220221_144940.jpg

I stay with the blue antifreeze, 

found this about OAT -----------

Can you use OAT coolant in all vehicles?
Organic acid technology (OAT)
This coolant is typically compatible with cars manufactured by GM, Saab and VW. Unlike IAT coolants, OAT coolants are designed for newer cars, usually, those made in the 2000s or later. OAT uses organic acid to help protect your engine from corrosion.

Mine has Halfords blue coolant in.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

After what I've seen after 2 months using OAT antifreeze, pretty unimpressed with what I've seen, going to fully flush once back together and use the blue stuff next time.

Ironically I was given a load of oat antifreeze while building the ibex so used it. I'm also unimpressed and have now gone back to blue.

Mike

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Ironically I was given a load of oat antifreeze while building the ibex so used it. I'm also unimpressed and have now gone back to blue.

Mike

I've only used blue in my 110, but out of curiosity what did you find unimpressive with the OAT stuff? 

It seemed to weep out of any joint it could (same joints are dry with blue in). I'm not convinced that it wasn't oat that caused my Ali radiator to fail, just a gut feeling I'll admit. We've always had blue in the 110 and given oat is more expensive I've not seen any benefit.

Mike

4 hours ago, monkie said:

I've only used blue in my 110, but out of curiosity what did you find unimpressive with the OAT stuff? 

Took these of the gasket earlier.

After 2 months it was already quite heavily corroding some of the steel parts of the gasket. 

This was using an advised coolant mix with deionised water too.

Really really suprised at that. 

20220221_203919.jpg

20220221_203923.jpg

20220221_203938.jpg

20220221_203949.jpg

I've used OAT red coolant in this truck since I first emptied the muddy water out of it 10 years ago, and the couple of times I've had the head off I've always been surprised at the corrosion I've seen. About time for a change I think. 

I've order up a the one size thicker Reinz gasket too.

I used a reinz one when I first got the head "done" by turners must be 5 years ago, I remeber it been subtle different to the elring one, will pick the best of the two when I get them next to each other.

I do remeber when the engine got built up in November, I fitted the headgasket and I remeber locating it on the dowels and thinking I've seen better fitting gaskets, but just got on with it, as Elring is I think recognised as one of the better manufacturers.