200tdi suspect head gasket failure? thoughts...

10 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I must admit I've always just put a 3 hole head gasket on but then I'm normally in a rush. It's easier to just order a 3 hole than the time to pull the head measure then order.

Mike

Previous engine I used a no hole gasket, just because thats what was in from my ownership, the refurbished block that came from turners was a 2 hole'er, I just wonder if the thiner gaskets are a bit less robust, so gone for a 3 hole Reinz for a bit of choice.

41 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Park's in Malton - there's a blast form the past. They did the heads on Series 1 80" V6 back in 1981

They said they'd been on that site for 25years, and the chap I spoke to said he's been doing it 50 years. Great place he let me have a wander around the workshop, serious old but gold machinery, he's got 2x 12ft long 18"+ swing lathes and upteen other bit of really cool machinery.

I wont be forgetting them in a rush.

Hamlins in Bridgwater is like that - founded in 1898

No idea why this post is taking up so much space

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

They said they'd been on that site for 25years, and the chap I spoke to said he's been doing it 50 years. Great place he let me have a wander around the workshop, serious old but gold machinery, he's got 2x 12ft long 18"+ swing lathes and upteen other bit of really cool machinery.

I wont be forgetting them in a rush

Edited by western
Wasted space removed
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maverik said:

So some news from Park Engineering. Head passed pressure test, but it needed a skim. So its ready for me to pick up.

Hopefully this was the issue. Watch this space.

Hope so, you need a bit of good fortune at the moment regards Stephen

12 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Hope so, you need a bit of good fortune at the moment regards Stephen

Thanks... this is only half the story this week... Off Topic but this is the photo the VW garage sent me of my front drive shaft on my van... apparently the prvious VW garage I went to didnt re-assemble my van with due care and attention...

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 12.50.33.jpeg

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Maverik said:

Thanks... this is only half the story this week... Off Topic but this is the photo the VW garage sent me of my front drive shaft on my van... apparently the prvious VW garage I went to didnt re-assemble my van with due care and attention...

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 12.50.33.jpeg

Finding this sort of thing really angers me. Just gunned on with an impact gun with no care given

18 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Finding this sort of thing really angers me. Just gunned on with an impact gun with no care given

This is the negative side of pneumatic, corded or cordless impact tools, unfortunately it's not always about no care sometimes it's no training. We have individuals at work who have no mechanical experience who tighten stuff up and keep the gun going until it won't turn anymore or the bolt snaps, then wonder why the bolt snapped or stripped, very frustrating through the middle of the night when I can't access something quickly with hand tools regards Stephen

On 2/24/2022 at 10:50 AM, Stellaghost said:

This is the negative side of pneumatic, corded or cordless impact tools, unfortunately it's not always about no care sometimes it's no training. We have individuals at work who have no mechanical experience who tighten stuff up and keep the gun going until it won't turn anymore or the bolt snaps, then wonder why the bolt snapped or stripped, very frustrating through the middle of the night when I can't access something quickly with hand tools regards Stephen

Got a couple at work like that. Absolutelt ZERO mechanical finesse. They the kind that will also rattle the first bolt all the way in first then then work along putting each bolt in all the way with the impact one at a time. Rather than getting them all started :(

On 2/24/2022 at 9:12 AM, Maverik said:

So some news from Park Engineering. Head passed pressure test, but it needed a skim. So its ready for me to pick up.

Hopefully this was the issue. Watch this space.

Hopefully this sorts the issue. Did you also say you had high crankcase pressure or am I confusing this with another thread? 

Either way, I'm looking forward to an update with a hopefully successful outcome. 

Head now back, skimmed by 5-6thou apparently. I spoke to the chap at the workshop and he reckoned that's all it would take for a gasket to leak, I've had a good think and I reckon I have a theory as to why it failed. The head since last skimming has been removed twice, each time before reinstall I cleaned the guff and carbon off it using some superfine scotchbright pads. I distinctly remember having to work a bit harder in the areas where it appeared to have failed because you get the corrosion build up in the blank water hole areas, so the cleaning in those areas was enough to push the gap tolerance over.

Anyhow, head now reinstall with manifolds and rocker gear in, will work on the rest in the week, got some coolant wash to run through the system before the new blue coolant goes in.

Also found my injector studs had necked - I suspected this last injector change, but now confirmed.

20220224_144636.jpg

20220227_145522.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I clean my heads up using fine wet and dry with a block of perspex and a squirt of wd40, in an effort to keep it flat.

Mike

Good advice, to be honest it never even crossed my mind regarding head cleaning and keeping flatness, some valuable leaning here!

On 2/25/2022 at 7:29 PM, monkie said:

Hopefully this sorts the issue. Did you also say you had high crankcase pressure or am I confusing this with another thread? 

Either way, I'm looking forward to an update with a hopefully successful outcome. 

Not high crank case pressure as such, but the engine was breathing quite hard, i.e. oil carry through the breather is as much if not a bit more than I've seen on the previous engine.

• Like 1

So she's back together, coolant system flushed and new blue coolant in use. Had a good road test and after a few hold breath moments as the temp spiked just before the thermostat opened, she ran considerably cooler and after an hours run, all well pipework a firm but not rock hard feel amd coolant level where it should be.

Something I did notice was my guage reading was a little inconsistent, seemed to bounce between 87 and 91 far too quickly which is unusual behaviour, so I'll change the sender tomorrow to see if that sorts the issue.

Now the drive north tomorrow in preparation to pull the engine this weekend to sort out the rear engine oil leakage!

• Like 2

7 hour test dive successfully completed.

This is the first time I've witnessed the engine wanting to run on the cooler side of 90deg C.

Happy days, I'm convinced the head gasket can't have been right for some time certainly since the engine rebuild, lots of lessons learnt here for me, thanks for everyone's input.

Mav

• Like 3

I've noticed mine runs considerably cooler since the engine swap. Whether that's due to the new radiator or the switch to blue antifreeze I don't know. Essentially the everything was like for like,  200tdi disco lump in the same configuration, the radiator is and Ali aftermarket item though a different make than previous and not leaking. So that only really leaves the antifreeze as technically different.

I don't know maybe it's just coincidence.

Mike

• Like 1