Can a 200tdi crank damper squeal?

Maverik

2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

What’s going on there then Mav ?  Is that from a previous belt or this one? 

That dampener does look knackered. I put a Bearmach one on mine and it’s been fine.

Hey Anderzander, this is the belt i installed in November during the engine rebuild...

I've kinda migrated this new issue to my build thread, firefighting to many issues just now, not sure what I've done to deserve it!

Ahh, disaster … the worlds testing you at the moment isn’t it .. through this engine !

4 hours ago, Maverik said:

not sure what I've done to deserve it!

In the words of Clint Eastwood, just before he kills Little Bill in the Unforgiven: ‘deserve’s for nothing to do with it’.

Hang in there ! 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

I changed my crank damper at the last timing belt change Maverick, after @Ed Poore experiences with a damaged one. Mine was likely the original and the rubber was decaying with lots of cracks in it but it wasn't squealing.

Mo

I remember reading verious posts over the years of noises from the pulley but I think thats mainly due to it being loose at the nut rather than the damper rubber.

I now dont belive this was actually causing the noise, but after seeing the perished rubber parts I have orderd a new damper, dont know the manufacturer of it yet.

14 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Its got to be possible though - i know its not the same engine but its a common issue on the TD5 for the damper to cause a chirping....

Isn’t that a spring loaded floating mass damper on the flywheel, not a bonded and essential single piece item?

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Isn’t that a spring loaded floating mass damper on the flywheel, not a bonded and essential single piece item?

Yeah there's a bit more to a Td5 crank damper. Considering the bit thats squidged out the side has cracked I suspect the bonded internal section isnt as flexible as it once was, unless its a dire fit (it is Britpart) then I'll swap it for the new one, can't hurt it.... (famous last words).

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 1:06 PM, Snagger said:

Think you are talking about the DMF Snagger. They have their own issues but a chirp isnt one of them! I mean the thing bolted on the other end - the crank damper. It is different as Mav says but it will cause noises like described here. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 4:24 PM, Maverik said:

So I'm having a bad time. 

My belt squeak is not a belt squeak, got as far as having the crank damper off and the squeaking has stopped... can an old damper make a squeak by itself?

20220329_161007.jpg

That is way worse than my 300Tdi one was that took out two crankshafts! Mime had hairline cracks but nothing as visible or as bad as yours. Glad you've ordered a new one already.

Doing a bit of research at the time the only possible side effect of a failed damper pulley is a snapped crank. I think you've been fairly lucky so far.