loff master cylinder

@FridgeFreezer as I know you have pretty balanced views of things, could you please explain how the LOF cylinder is any different/better to a standard item, and why you are so happy with it, say compared with a generic aftermarket slave cylinder? I'm genuinely curious.

30 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

@FridgeFreezer as I know you have pretty balanced views of things, could you please explain how the LOF cylinder is any different/better to a standard item, and why you are so happy with it, say compared with a generic aftermarket slave cylinder? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm not sure how they work as they look identical - they DO have a fairly pokey spring inside that tries to pop the rubber end cap off if you're not careful :lol: other than that I don't know if they're bigger bore or anything like that, doesn't appear to be anything obvious about them or any clever gubbins going on.

What I can say is it made the clutch pedal on the 109 about as light as my Mini, I'd say easily 50% less force required to push it. Its gone from a leg workout to something that wouldn't be out of place in a modern car or van.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'm not sure how they work as they look identical - they DO have a fairly pokey spring inside that tries to pop the rubber end cap off if you're not careful :lol: other than that I don't know if they're bigger bore or anything like that, doesn't appear to be anything obvious about them or any clever gubbins going on.

What I can say is it made the clutch pedal on the 109 about as light as my Mini, I'd say easily 50% less force required to push it. Its gone from a leg workout to something that wouldn't be out of place in a modern car or van.

Thanks, very interesting. The reduction in effort would suggest a different bore size.

I have 'linked' to their Master. They also do the Slave which is what is being discussed. I am only skim reading but they say don't fit them as a pair?? *Cannot be fitted in conjunction with the LOF POWER Slave cylinder* * 

• Thanks 1

I assume the two together would be over-assisted to the point of not working properly then.

I did examine it for obvious differences to the old one but at the time I was up to my eyeballs in brake fluid so didn't stop to do a thorough investigation & measurements :lol:

I fitted a LOF clutch master when they came out and it was awful. It was lighter but it also moved the biting point towards the floor from memory. I messed around with it for ages trying to get it something like usuable, spoke to LOF who basically admitted what I found. I removed and binned it after a few days. The LOF power spring is excellent however.

• Thanks 1

iv fitted it and they said it would be 30 percent lighter and wow what a difference it makes its literally like driving a real car (ha ha) .yes it has changed the biting point but for me its a good trade off on a days laneing when your on and off the pedal all day. id say its a total success and well worth doing to any early defenders.

It alters the biting point so they say to wind out the pedal stop to allow the pedal to come up further so you can get more throw and some clearance. 
i believe its smaller bore so less fluid pushed into the slave 
if you goto adjust pedal from factory settings then to me its not fit for purpose but thats my opinion. 

Simple hydraulics, you can't make it easier without changing the stroke length/bore size.

Not sure you could really attribute 'not fit', plenty of stuff you bolt to a car needs you to adjust other stuff outside of factory spec.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Simple hydraulics, you can't make it easier without changing the stroke length/bore size.

I think the slave cylinder adds a big spring too - out of the car it's almost pushing the piston out of the end(the rubber boot just about stops it). I'm hoping that doesn't translate to wearing out the clutch release bearing, time will tell I guess.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:43 PM, Bowie69 said:

Not sure you could really attribute 'not fit', plenty of stuff you bolt to a car needs you to adjust other stuff outside of factory spec.

As you say simple hydraulics, at a guess the master will be a smaller bore so the same foot pressure and travel on the pedal would produce more pressure but less volume, i.e. to operate the clutch requires less foot pressure but more travel hence lower bite point. Similarly I expect the slave cylinder is a bigger bore so to operate it requires less psi but more volume of fluid. If you fitted both at the same time you may run out of travel before they operate effectively. Big springs would also reduce the force require to operate the pedal but would reduce the effect of the pedal returning to the up position, that would just be a case of balancing the springs so the pedal returns up effectively with the minimum force required.